Poll for kegging/carb: active or passive carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you prefer to keg-carbonate?

• Natural (sugar/yeast addition)

• 'Active'- High psi, rock keg, etc.

• 'Passive'- set it 'n' forget it at your determined calculations for days

• Combination

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tend to go high without the shakin' for 2 days and then back off to desired setting for it's short life....

So I picked combination

My regulator is set at 12 psi. It always stays there, unless I have a reason to change it like a stout I want lower. I just stick the keg in with the others, and it carbs up in about 7 or 10 days.

My regulator is set at 12 psi. It always stays there, unless I have a reason to change it like a stout I want lower. I just stick the keg in with the others, and it carbs up in about 7 or 10 days.

It's carbed in 7-10 days, but it's better in about 3 weeks. I'm not sure if that's just the carbonation or if it's other factors.

any and all of the above, depending.

I'll prime a keg with sugar and let it carbonate naturally if there's no particular rush to get a keg ready to serve - stash it in a closet somewhere for a few weeks until a keg blows and I'm ready to use it.
Or, if I'm in a rush, I'll put it on high pressure in the kegerator overnight. And if I'm not in a rush but I haven't had enough time to 'naturally' carbonate it, I'll just connect it to the gas and let it carbonate as it sits (sometimes enduring a few pints of under-carbonated beer).

I like to use natural carbonation when clarity is not an issue, eg. browns, stouts, hefes, etc. With limited fridge space, it's nice to have a couple kegs carbing all on their own in the basement.

Otherwise, set and forget unless the keg is needed for a party soon.

I naturally carbonate whenever possible but if I have a lager or spare room in the kegerator I will set and forget. This gives my beer time to condition and keeps me from drinking it green.

I use to shake, carb boost, chill and all that stuff. Then I decided beer takes time, so I now set and forget. I'm about 38°F @ 12.5 psi and it's perfect. The only issue is on one pour I may get 12 ounces in a pint glass because of foam, but that's fine.

Tend to go high without the shakin' for 2 days and then back off to desired setting for it's short life....

So I picked combination

Same here. I'll only shake the keg if the pipeline is dry and I have people coming over and its the only way to have it ready in time. This is rare.

Latest posts

Back