Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
California banning the sale of new gas or diesel vehicles as of 2035 will definitely put a fire under the automakers tails to get more electric vehicles designed and produced. Especially since that puts CA in line with the EU. Combined that is a huge market that they can't afford to ignore.
FYI,Cali might try building some infrastructure first,

Yea, I do wonder about that. I get gas at our local BJ's, and there is always a line there, even with 10 pumps. Consider that it only takes a few minutes to fill up with gas, and still that long line. What happens when it takes 30 minutes or more per car?

I supposes the answer is that most people will charge at home, so that alleviates a lot of that traffic at BJs. I would like to see some actual math on that subject though.

2035 gives them plenty of time for more chargers to be built/installed.

I doubt that the "free" charging EV makers sell with their cars will last long. Home charging is the way to go.

I supposes the answer is that most people will charge at home, so that alleviates a lot of that traffic at BJs. I would like to see some actual math on that subject though.

Biggest problem with home charging is having a home. California ranks as the second lowest home ownership rate in the nation.

A cheap landlord--like mine--doesn't want to invest to install a level 2 charger in these houses for tenants (especially if it requires upgrading electrical service to the house). Many apartments don't have garages at all. There are a lot of apartment complexes where all you get is a carport. I can't imagine all of these properties installing free chargers in every carport metered to each renter--which means you won't get the advantages of the electrical rates you get with home charging.

Many homes here are very small as well, so garage space is HEAVILY utilized for storage. I have a 2 car garage--only one car is going to fit in there. When walking the dog I see EVs in my neighborhood sitting in a driveway with a long charging cable from inside the garage because neighbors can't fit the EV inside a garage to charge.

A lot of the cost and convenience advantages of BEV vs ICEV are based upon the assumption that you can charge at home and thus will only need to pay (or take time out of your day) to charge on road trips. California seems like it very well might be the worst state in the nation for having the ability to charge from home.

Yea, that's pretty nifty. Need a bit of space for that though. 5kW output (assuming it's sunny of course). Tesla battery is 100kWh capacity, so 20 hours create enough energy to fully charge. If you get about 8 hours of full sun per day, looks like 2-3 days. I assume those panels are charging storage batteries that are at least 100kWh capacity.

Free energy from the sun, I like!

... er, well ...

September 14 update: PairTree’s starting price is $26,900, and that covers the canopy and solar only (no charging or other electronics). Fully configured units will sell for mid-$60k depending on options.

Yea, that's pretty nifty. Need a bit of space for that though. 5kW output (assuming it's sunny of course). Tesla battery is 100kWh capacity, so 20 hours create enough energy to fully charge. If you get about 8 hours of full sun per day, looks like 2-3 days. I assume those panels are charging storage batteries that are at least 100kWh capacity.

Free energy from the sun, I like!

... er, well ...
buy 3 and glue them together.

i just had a thought about those street cars with the over head electric lines for some reason....reminded me of this thread....

unknown.png

Has anyone checked on Elon lately?

His company makes some good vehicles, but this is absurd.

I would have bought an electric car but the logistics don't work for me right now. I only have street parking which makes home charging difficult. I'm not always parked directly in front of my house. Even if I could, I'm not sure how I feel about a charger in front of my house or running an extension cord overnight. I'm pretty sure I'd wake up once every couple months to a stolen cord. I also would worry about people injuring themselves tripping over it on the sidewalk. I am WFH for the foreseeable future, so no good option to charge during the day anywhere else.

Right now I drive a hybrid which I like a lot. It doesn't get amazing fuel efficiency in the city but I can hit 40-50 mpg on the freeway.

With a recent addition to the family, my wife and I were discussing whether to get a larger vehicle in place of the Volt.

Our choice of EV is not available for test drive within a reasonable drive of our house. There were some nearby very recently, but I guess they're pretty popular right now and they just sold in the last couple weeks.

I believe this is different because it will allow non-Teslas to use Superchargers.

It’s a terrible mistake for him because as much as I love my Model 3, the aesthetics are becoming stale. With so many more options - most much better looking - becoming available, Tesla’s only superior product will soon be its charging network. If I can access Superchargers with another EV, I can almost guarantee my next one won’t be a Tesla.

(Posted as my car drives itself 😎)

Car aesthetics are also something I don't understand.

But I think I remember reading that Tesla was going to put in some standard chargers in their supercharger network as a way to drum up interest in their cars with non-Tesla EV owners.

But I really don't want.

They are clearly enabling, but I'd be surprised if Tesla's charging fleet is a profitable venture for them. Encouraging the adoption of Supercharger tech by other companies would mean more chargers for Teslas making them that much more practical to the car buying public while costing Tesla nothing...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Electric cars make a lot of sense as a small "city car" for daily driving around town. I might own one someday for that purpose. But not for a primary vehicle; there's no infrastructure yet for long trips in an electric (hybrids are okay.) In 40 years that might be different, but the powers that be are currently pushing for a lot sooner adoption than that (like they think unlimited electricity is available now, just plug it in, duh!) and are ignoring the problems.

I test drove a Prius a few years ago and didn't hate it nearly as much as I wanted to. :)

I drove from NJ to Florida after Ian in my Tesla with one hours notice. Took a random route on the way back 3 days later just because I wanted different scenery.

40 years? Forty years ago we barely had computers.

I’m hunting in the middle of nowhere 3 hours from home right now. Showed up with 30%. No worries at all. The limitations aren’t what you think. If you haven’t done it, you’re guessing. I’m not being facetious. It’s just the truth.

I made the jump because I drive roughly 2500 miles per month, well above average. It’s a no brainer. I never need to charge on the road except for longer trips. My most expensive electric bill this summer was under $300 - that’s my whole house AND my car. I used to spend $300-400 per month on gas alone.

Unless you drive 300 miles every day, EV life is MORE convenient than gas. By far. No more waiting on lines at the cheaper gas stations (still ripping you off). No more pumping gas in bad weather. No more oil changes. I can warm my car up in my garage. I can carry my whole family with luggage in the trunk and frunk and still merge into traffic faster than a Corvette. No brainer.

Electric cars make a lot of sense as a small "city car" for daily driving around town. I might own one someday for that purpose. But not for a primary vehicle; there's no infrastructure yet for long trips in an electric (hybrids are okay.) In 40 years that might be different, but the powers that be are currently pushing for a lot sooner adoption than that (like they think unlimited electricity is available now, just plug it in, duh!) and are ignoring the problems.

I test drove a Prius a few years ago and didn't hate it nearly as much as I wanted to. :)

Extended discussion of some of these things would be better in Debate (like who they are and to what degree they're pushing, and what's being done done to improve charging infrastructure).

But one thing I keep going back to is: what do you ask your vehicles to do now. When I bought my PHEV I really thought about what I had asked from the vehicle I was trading in for it. A BEV was an option we were considering, so I looked at the distance vs vehicle range, and at the routes I normally take on my common "road trips" and where I could find fast charging.

We eventually settled on a PHEV. But now that we have another passenger we're considering a different, larger vehicle, and we're looking at BEVs again. With the expansion of charging networks and improved range I really don't think that we'll have a problem with a BEV.

At least one of our three vehicles has to drag ~5K pounds worth of boat and trailer, and the last legit review I read of the Ford electric pickup was horrible wrt trailering. I'd be lucky to make it from my primary residence to our family house up in NH with the performance quoted...

At least one of our three vehicles has to drag ~5K pounds worth of boat and trailer, and the last legit review I read of the Ford electric pickup was horrible wrt trailering. I'd be lucky to make it from my primary residence to our family house up in NH with the performance quoted...

I've seen a few hit pieces out on the Lightning. I do believe that EVs need to charge faster and there need to be more charging stations to make it easier on towing vehicles, but I also remember the kind of mileage we'd get with our farm truck towing a full livestock trailer.

In your case, it reminds me of my in-laws who love to fish. They rarely take their boat more than 100 miles from their house. Every other year they go on a big out of state trip, but that's an outlier.

I need to go 150 miles from house to house, a good chunk of it into the White Mountains.
And we do it a few times each year - 4 times in 2022.

It takes my Durango a little over 2 hours with enough gas for the return home. I wouldn't need an electric to match that - presumably it could charge up at our mountain house - but certainly make an up or down trip in one go without stopping for a charge...

Cheers!

Wow my sense of distance regarding the US north east is messed up.

150 miles, with charging available on either end, is certainly doable without the trailer. I don't want to guess what your boat&trailer, and the ascents into mountains would do to range. If you have a boat like my in-laws and not too steep of climbs to make I would guess that one well placed DC fast charger around the middle would be all you'd need with something like a Lightning. If you had two pretty evenly spaced through your trip, I don't think you'd have much range anxiety.

But I don't know what boat you have, nor the grade of the climbs you make.

We are so much the opposite of some here. My wife has a 5 mile drive each way into work where she only needs to go 2 or 3 days a week. I have a 4 mile drive each way into work where I go daily but often bike in the summer. Our gasoline bills are not even worth paying attention to.

She'll almost certainly get an EV the next time around. I'm still a bit stuck on wanting ICE in a performance car. It'd be a long time before either of us makes up the EV premium in saved gas, or from an emissions standpoint.

Not saying we won't do it, and predict for at least one of us we will. But we tend to both keep cars a decade or more (they are '11, '15 and '15) and clearly don't drive a lot of miles each year.

We are so much the opposite of some here. My wife has a 5 mile drive each way into work where she only needs to go 2 or 3 days a week. I have a 4 mile drive each way into work where I go daily but often bike in the summer. Our gasoline bills are not even worth paying attention to.

She'll almost certainly get an EV the next time around. I'm still a bit stuck on wanting ICE in a performance car. It'd be a long time before either of us makes up the EV premium in saved gas, or from an emissions standpoint.

Not saying we won't do it, and predict for at least one of us we will. But we tend to both keep cars a decade or more (they are '11, '15 and '15) and clearly don't drive a lot of miles each year.

We tend to keep our vehicles for a certain number of miles, which has been coming out to about 8 years. If we end up trading our PHEV in it'll be the shortest I've been a primary driver of a vehicle in about a decade.

I told my spouse that we couldn't buy a house near her workplace because I need her to have a proper divide between work and off-work time. I wouldn't mind our next house being 5-7 miles closer.

But one thing I keep going back to is: what do you ask your vehicles to do now. When I bought my PHEV I really thought about what I had asked from the vehicle I was trading in for it. A BEV was an option we were considering, so I looked at the distance vs vehicle range, and at the routes I normally take on my common "road trips" and where I could find fast charging.

We eventually settled on a PHEV. But now that we have another passenger we're considering a different, larger vehicle, and we're looking at BEVs again. With the expansion of charging networks and improved range I really don't think that we'll have a problem with a BEV.

I think this is key. The question of BEV is very personal, and based on what you need from a vehicle, what you're willing to spend, whether you own or rent and have access to home charging, etc.

I bought my car in 2017. I needed a vehicle with 3rd row seating. I never buy new cars; I prefer low-mileage used and let someone else eat the depreciation. The only viable EV on the market that met my needs was the Model X, and starting at something like $70K I simply wasn't going there. I ended up buying a low-mileage Ford Flex for $26K.

At the time, the charging infrastructure was FAR less than now. The maturity of the EV market was far below where it is even today. So I think it was a prudent decision that an EV wasn't the right car for me.

Now, I plan to keep the Flex at least another 5 years for when the kids start going off to college and can downsize to something smaller. I primarily WFH so it's not like I am putting tons of miles on it and will need to replace it sooner.

By the time we get to 2027, the entire EV market will have changed from where it was in 2017, and will be significantly different than what it is now in 2022. There should be a fairly robust used market by that point and we'll all have had enough EVs on the road to know if buying used is viable (didn't know that in 2017, probably already do now in 2022 but I haven't researched).

By the time I make my next car purchase, my needs will have changed, the EV market will have changed, so I think there's a high probability my next car will be a BEV. But it wasn't right in 2017 and there's no reason for me to upgrade now, so I'm not getting one anytime soon.

The only viable EV on the market that met my needs was the Model X, and starting at something like $70K I simply wasn't going there.

The big reason I'm not super enthusiastic about Tesla. I appreciate how they're making EVs stylish and sporty, and they have a fantastic charging network, but I don't think one can purchase a new Tesla for under $39,000.

I chat with Tesla owners at the charging stations when I get a chance. I've heard a few complaints about them, but nobody I speak with has been upset with their purchase.

I'm a homebody. I rarely leave my village. When I travel around my village I walk everywhere. So no need for anything but LPC's or a bicycle at home.

But when I travel (mostly for work... stocking up at jewelry supply stores or dropping off at galleries) it's usually a 3+ hour trip each way in the mountains and half of the year with snow/ice.

Any vehicle I drive is gonna have to have 4WD, or all wheel drive. It's also gonna have to have a manual tranny and be able to drive for 3-6 hours straight.

I drive an '06 Subaru Outback with AWD, a close ratio manual 5 speed, and lots of inside storage. I average MPG in the low to mid 30's. When it started losing compression and MPG and there were too many small repairs, I replaced the motor with a new shortblock from Subaru and built it up with all new parts. It's probably good for another quarter million miles.

I believe in solar. I have a travel/emergency setup I built with 450W of panels, 660WH of storage, and a inverter and adjustable DC powersupply. I also have redneck engineered a solar hotwater supply for my garage/workshop.

I believe in electric vehicles. I just don't see the need for one personally when I have a basically brand new (16 year old) stationwagon. Maybe in the future when there are electric vehicles that would suit my needs. If I lived in a city I'd definitely buy one.

Latest posts

Back