Poll: Are you a musician?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a musician?

• Yes. I am a musician.

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
started playing the 5-string banjo in college, been playing over 10 years now. played in a traditional bluegrass band in colorado for 3 or 4 years, did some regional touring, just had fun with it... now that i'm back in school, i hardly ever play anymore, but that'll change at some point. play a little guitar and sing also (tenor parts in bluegrass harmony).

I played trombone, baritone, and tuba for years but have since switched to harp and slide guitar. The guitar I play the most is a 1934-36 National that I found in a dumpster. I was riding on a small street in Charleston, SC. when I noticed a neck sticking out of a dumpster, I stopped and rescued her. I don't have any pics of her handy but here is one of one of her sisters.
trojan.jpg

The she's pretty beat up and the action is high so she's hard to play but I love the authentic sound that I get when I give her a go.

I play the instrument best associated with beer - the Tuba. Play in a corncert band, a dixieland jazz band, an Oompah band and ocassional other groups. Next Friday I get to play in a New Orleans style brass band. :ban:

Played piano for 10 years as a kid, and then moved to drums, which I've played for about 12 years, but nothing recent. Both trap and marching.

Bass is my main instrument. I play guitar and a little piano, and vocals too. I have a 4 string banjo, a mandolin, and a harmonica, but never got the hang of those. I just joined a Country band. That genre is pretty new to me (usually play rock/blues/funk), but it's been fun so far.
Pics of some of my guitars here:
www.jaxwell.com/guitar

I voted no I don't think my talent level qualifies me as a musician although I enjoy my guitars, keyboards, ukes and like beating the he!! outta my drum set

I do like to think of myself as an amature Luthier

Wierdboy I feel your pain I had a 0021 Martin made in 1918 stolen I don't even what to know what that would be worth today

I've been playing guitar since I was 13. I've been in bands, recorded, toured, and I still play in two bands. Nothing serious, but it is fun.

Also, I call myself a guitar player. Musician to me implies someone who really knows what they're doing. I just play.

I've been a part time professional for just about 30-years... Either solo doing a mix of different stuff, or in the Bluegrass Band "Sleepy Creek". Mostly on guitar. I'm a Flatpicker.

French Horn, Trumpet, Guitar. I don't have or play any of these any more. However, I currently own a Roland C-30 digital harpsichord.

I play guitar obvisously, but I also sing, play piano and play the bass.

I also give lessons for those various instruments.

I've been a musician for 45 years. I've playing in touring bands and been a roadie for some big time bands. I currently own a recording studio and am the head audio engineer at a large performing arts center. My latest instrument is ukulele.

I've been a musician for 45 years. I've playing in touring bands and been a roadie for some big time bands. I currently own a recording studio and am the head audio engineer at a large performing arts center. My latest instrument is ukulele.

As if I needed another reason to say that DENNY CONN RULES! :rockin:

I play guitar, drums, bass, and keyboard. I've produced a house/drum and bass album of my own as well as recorded my own bands for fun. I had my own band where I played guitar and played drums for a few bands, blues, punk, and metal.

I'm classified as a musician by others but it's mostly a charade. I play the piano (trumpet in high school and campfire guitar player) but it takes pig headed stubbornness to make progress. Sure, I can play some songs that sound really good, but the amount of work that went into getting it right is just obscene. I have no ear so I don't consider myself a musician. I voted yes anyway because of the qualifier by the OP that pared the definition to simply playing an instrument.

Went through music school and got a masters in bass performance. I played professionally for a handful of years. Now I teach music at a middle school and play 2-3 gigs a week with mostly jazz groups and the symphony.

My main instrument (now, and for the last 20 years) is the bass, but I started on the piano and quickly moved to percussion. Played Drums/percussion for 7-8 years before I joined a band that already had a drummer, but no bass player. I said "I'll give it a shot" and I've been hooked ever since.

Since then I play a little guitar/piano, I picked up the violin while my son was learning and recently tried my hand at trumpet. Me and my son both gave it up. My wife is very grateful! :D

Singer/songwriter/guitarplayer. I wrote a song, a couple of months back, that was inspired by a signature line on this forum. The hook line is: "If I don't start now, I can't be drunk all day. "

Im a professional classical pianist. I teach quite a bit and perform now and then. I got my master's in music a few years back. Bach, Beethoven, and beer – they go so well together.

A studio bass player that has played on more records you probably have never heard and more commercials you have.

Drummer of 17 years here...I got my first kit in the 3rd grade at the age of 10. Took lessons, stuck with it and played in the school band. Thoroughly enjoyed playing tenors on my high school's drumline for two years and had to quit band when I had to get a job.

Kept drumming and somehow ended up in my brother's punk band. They used to practice at the house and I'd hang out all the time listening. There was a practice session the drummer couldn't make it so I filled in- then another, and another. Finally there was a show he couldn't make it to so I played that as well. 6 weeks after repeating this, I asked if I was in the band and they said "yeah! You've been in it for a few months now!" What? News to me!

I was in the band for 8 years and finally stepped out for something new...I went to school to get an education in Audio Recording and am in my spare time I have too much fun making hip hop beats and dj'ing. :D Those interested can PM me for a link...

Singing since I was 5, Bass Guitar since I was 11. 34 now. For a hint at MY favorite musician, see my profile!

Trumpet for many years though school. Now I attempt to play guitar but suck. Still answered yes though :)

I have been playing trumpet since I was 7 (am 34 now). Have a Masters in Jazz performance. Have slowed down in the last several months as I took a job as a brewer! Still doing some gigs though and practicing almost everyday.

Not a real musician but musically inclined. I've played guitar for 38 years, banjo and mandolin for 5 or 6, plus I have an upright bass I mess with from time to time. I've been in local working rock and blues bands over the years and now mostly play guitar and mandolin in church.

Though I played Trombone starting in 4th grade through the 10th grade I've not picked it up but a few times since then. So no, I don't consider myself a musican. But it did instill in me a passion for all types of music.

Drums and bass, although I haven't been able to set up my drums for a year.

Back