poking a hole in a bucket lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
i bought a primary without a hole in the lid off amazon. i don't have a drill, but i'm wondering if anbody has had any luck just cutting a hole with a razor or something? I can borrow a drill at some point, but i'm thinking i'll just try cutting a whole and putting a grommet in it

any ideas?

Why do you want a hole in the lid? Once you drill one, you can't un-drill one. I know that some people like to put airlocks in them, but I always just leave the lid on loose.

just for an air lock. i've heard people just leave the lid loose, i guess i will just plan on doing that, and only ferment small quick beers in there.

I cut holes in mine I just use my knife I use the rubber stoppers. Trace the small taper cut inside the line tada. Use the tip of the blade you have to be able to curve the cut. If you mess up any home improvement store sells lids for cheap.

harbor freight has cheap cordless drills for $12 I am sure you can a cheap set of drill bits to go with it.

For my two cents, use a drill or don't poke the hole. My reasoning is that you want a pretty precise hole so that your grommet fits tightly, and your airlock has a good seal.

If it doesn't have a good seal, why bother to put in an airlock to begin with? Why not just leave the lid loose and be done with it?

thanks for the input, i think i'm agreeing with you homebrewdad. i'll probably just wait til i can borrow a drill to make a hole.

Definitely use a drill. I had a few lids laying around one day and I decided I was going to try cutting a hole with a razor instead of drilling. The first two split while I was trying to cut, the third one didn't split until I pushed the rubber stopper in tight. Never had trouble with splits in drilled lids.

Buy a drill. There will be plenty other projects it will come in handy with.

i've thought about it, but i live in a small studio apartment, and i'm already at capacity space wise. i can't really afford to add more gizmos and gadgets at this point. my folks live pretty close by anyways so i can just borrow theirs when i need one.

Definitely use a drill. I had a few lids laying around one day and I decided I was going to try cutting a hole with a razor instead of drilling. The first two split while I was trying to cut, the third one didn't split until I pushed the rubber stopper in tight. Never had trouble with splits in drilled lids.

cool thats what i was wondering. it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do, but i figured somebody has tried it. glad to know before i broke it

Back