Poh-Tay-Toes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Being from Idaho I have a special instant stigma. Potatoes :(

But I've heard you can use the starches from potatoes to make into sugars that make for beer.

I was wondering if I could use my states claim to .... "fame?" of potatoes to brew a beer.

As I understand potatoes don't make for good beer. With its cloudy high starch levels and what not. What would be the best style, or recipe to use to make a good potato beer?

I'm interested in just taste, not looks.

Thanks!

digdan said:
What would be the best style, or recipe to use to make a good potato beer?

I'm interested in just taste, not looks.

Thanks!

Smartass answer: One that comes with a side of chives, sour cream, bacon bits and some cheddar cheese.... (ow dammit, tell Cheese to knock it off with the Cu Pu). :drunk:

Non Smartass Answer: Ummmm.... Vodka?

Real answer: Lots of starches in there. Don't know if there's really a whole lot you could do with it....

Ize

I have been thinking of this to. I lost the link to the site but I read the potato's are a very neutral. They do need to be converted from starchy to sugary in a mash. If you mash, cut them up into small cubes and throw them into the mash with the rest of your grains. I wouldn't add a lot of them though, it will be like adding corn or rice to it. And the reason we brew is that we don't like the major beers that are brewed with those ingredients (beer snobbish I know). You might be looking at a very thin beer if you add a lot, the enzymes in the mash should convert the starches fairly well.

I was thinking about this after reading Rich's banana-beer thread. P_Funky made a sweet-potato ale that he enjoys a lot (I'm hoping to get one from him pretty soon), although I think he had some issues getting all the starches converted (it was his first mash of any kind, IIRC).

I would expect the potato to impart little taste or texture; I wonder if it would end up acting like the rice in Bud.

sause said:
I have been thinking of this to. I lost the link to the site but I read the potato's are a very neutral. They do need to be converted from starchy to sugary in a mash. If you mash, cut them up into small cubes and throw them into the mash with the rest of your grains. I wouldn't add a lot of them though, it will be like adding corn or rice to it. And the reason we brew is that we don't like the major beers that are brewed with those ingredients (beer snobbish I know). You might be looking at a very thin beer if you add a lot, the enzymes in the mash should convert the starches fairly well.
I'm guessing they would need to be boiled before they are put into the mash to gelatinize them. I don't think raw potatoes would convert too well.

Northern Wisconsin grows it's share of taters, too. Point Brewery in Stevens Point used to make an annual spud beer. It was pretty good. Haven't seen it in a few years, though.

Why couldn't you make beer from potatoes... When I was in East Berlin (when there was an E. Berlin) we bought about 40 little bottles (about 3 times the size of "airplane" sized ones) of "real" russian vodka (made from potatoes) with the exchange rate we paid about 45 cents a bottle. It will knock you on your ass when you try to stand up after drinking 2-3 bottles... we started using the whole bottle per drink because you just couldn't tell it was even in the drink... I don't remember much more about it...

From this web-site

Potato Vodkas

There are three potato vodkas distributed nationally in the United States. Two of them are made in Poland by the Polish Government and one - Teton GLACIER Vodka - is made here in America, in Rigby, Idaho.

The potato inherently produces a smoother vodka than its grain counterpart. But Teton GLACIER takes this natural advantage to an even higher level.

Teton GLACIER, which uses the renowned russet potato of Idaho and pure, chilled Rocky Mountain well water, achieves a vodka without harshness or "bite," with a subtle hint of viscosity and a smooth, soft feel on the palate.

orfy said:
5 pounds 6-row domestic barley malt, crushed
2.5 pound grade A Idaho potatoes (washed and grated)
3 pounds pale unhopped malt extract
1/3 oz Burton salts
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1.25 oz Hallertauer leaf hops
1 oz Cascade leaf hops
ale yeast

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/Potato.html
Yeah , I think the 6-row is important because of the extra enzymes in it.
Potatoes would probably work in any other recipe as well if you use, at least, a couple # of 6-row.

I'm trying to think how I could possibly do a potato mash with, uh, essentially mashed potatoes, and not have it get hopelessly stuck. Thinking rice hulls, for one. Any other thoughts?

Sorry Bird, I miss read.

Domestic US malt.
I can't say I've seen UK 6 row available even over here.

As for the mash. I have read reference to people adding dried potato flakes available cheaply in industrial food industry bulk packs but I can't for the life of my think how they wouldn't soak up any water you throw at them. I think normal potatoes will be a little easier.

I was just messin' around with you.... :D

Has P-funky chimed in yet? I know he used a ricer with his sweet potato beer, but I'm not sure how that would work any better than simply shredding them.

I've seen this info before, but how would one go about estimating potential gravity points from a pound of spuds?

I'm thinking a simple, experimental potato-ale batch as an experiment. Probably just some 6-row with the potatoes, maybe a little bit of crystal. Hop it modestly with something earthy, maybe a little spicey - definately not citrus. Clean ale yeast like Safale-56. What else would you want to do?

the_bird said:
I'm trying to think how I could possibly do a potato mash with, uh, essentially mashed potatoes, and not have it get hopelessly stuck. Thinking rice hulls, for one. Any other thoughts?

I don't think you want "mashed" potatoes, they would just liquify (sp) in the mash. You want shreaded or grated like cheese... stringy kind like in the bags.

What's going to keep them from essentially becoming "mashed" in the mash, if they are shredded? I cn't imagine they would maintain much structural integrity, even if you were only mashing at 154.

Would you pre-cook them before adding to the mash?

I just read Charlie P's description of Potatoes. He says they can be added directly to the mash. The potatos will become gelatinous at mash temps. He also says you can cook them before if you want a more complete conversion.

Just for the record, (and Bird I will mail yours out this week, no worries!) I baked them at about 375 for a little under 90 minutes, which caramelized them (and burnt some, but I think that helped actually), then stuck them in a grain bag with the 6-row and did a partial mash. I keep meaning to pois tthe pics/results in my thread... I'm just lame lately.

Back