Plz critique my Rye Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
Howdy

Looking to develop a nice Rye Pale ale that will have a nice balance of spicy and sweet. Hows this look

5 gallon batch

7lbs 2 row
2lbs Rye malt
1lb 10L
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Munich

1/2 Columbus 60min
1/2 Columbus 30min
1/2 Sweet Orange Peel 10min (debating)
1/2 Saaz 5min

1/2 oz of cascade DRy Hop (debating)
Notty or US-05

IBU about 45

Why the orange peel? Also, I'm not sure what the 10L would add. I would just use 2# of Munich instead.

1 lb Crystal (10L) AND 1 lb Honey Malt? Cloying, for sure. 4 oz of each is all you need. The rye malt should give all the head retention you need.

US-05 is more hop forward, Nottingham is more malt forward. I use US-05 in APAs and Nottingham in porters.

yeah i did a earlier version of this with the orange peel and it didnt seem to contribute much...probably go with out this time.

Thanks for the input guys

Think i will up the munich and remove the 10L and see how it comes out

Outdated sig :0....i'll fix it now.....that was a half ass attempt at subbing out 1 ingredient form a previous Pale Ale recipe and using Rye to see what it would produce

Alright, let me know how this turns out for you. I am trying to do a Rye recipe as well, though mine is extract. I posted in here in the recipe forum too if you want to give me a shout...

Good luck!

Outdated sig :0....i'll fix it now.....that was a half ass attempt at subbing out 1 ingredient form a previous Pale Ale recipe and using Rye to see what it would produce

By any chance, was your first recipe from Brewing Classic Styles? I did a similar thing. Jamil's recipe called for about 3/4 lb of Wheat, so I subbed in Rye. I have it in primary now.

No it was a very basic house ale recipe that used centennial and cascade...I'll have to check my recipe when i get home but I think i took out Munich altogether for the Rye and added in the orange peel as an expirement.

The beauty of homebrew....no matter what you do...as long as the premise and technique are good...you get a decent brew :mug:

Back