plumbing an all grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to get my all grain set up going for the weekend. Need some help on plumbing in from MT and BK via a march pump. I also have a plate chiller to throw in the mix. I'm confused on whether to drill new holes and install shut off valves in the BK though. I've attached a picture of the set up, just need some direction on what hoses go to where. I will be batch sparging for now. I want to be able to use my one pump for everything so I'm assuming I'll need so shut off valves for this as well. I'm under the understanding that I can get away with one pump for batch sparging. So I need the pump to work for HLT to MT, then MT to BK, and BK to fermenter.

Any help would be appreciated.

chank

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Which one is the brew kettle?

I would get some cam lock quick connects and play around with moving hoses for a few batches.

I would also get some silicone tubing. If your gonna transfer from bk to fermenter you might wanna sanitize with boiling wort and silicone hose can handle that.

I've just posted a thread on buying a micro brewery, I wasn't sure if it's best to go for the 3 pots, in the pics I was lookin at they had the first pot up high on a stand then the MT under that the the BK under that so no need for a pump, I hav no experience in this maybe still need a pump to transfer into fermenter? I'm just after as much advice before I spend cash , cheers

Setup looks cool tho, pumps on the fridge, I'll b borrowing that idea ;-)

+1 on cam locks and silicone tubing.
I would also build a small platform to elevate your burners and kettles off the ground, it will make draining, pumping, stirring,
way easier. Do those barb fittings on your pump have plastic threaded fittings? If so, will they withstand boiling temps?

And definitely tame those gas lines. You'll probably burn the structure down if one gets knocked into the flame.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going to the local brew supply store and getting a Blichmann auto sparge, tubing and other plumbing stuff. I would like to eventually weld up a one piece stand to get the kettles higher up. I do have barb fittings on the pump in/out lets. I suppose it would be a good idea to add hose clamps to those. I think I'm gonna gravity feed the sparge water over to the MT, then use the pump between the other two. The BK is on the left, MT, then HLT.

That's kinda how I am thinking of doing it. I've got a larger valve set aside for when I get a HLT one day, 1.5" Probably be bottom drain with electric element heat. I use RO water though so not so sure how to get that up in the pot. Might start using garden hose again at that point.

My 3 kettle set up is this, BK = 25 Gallon, MT = 10 gallon and HLT = 6.5 gallon. I'm not sure if the HLT is big enough. I suppose I could add more water to the HLT but it would disrupt the sparging process with having to get it back up to temp, which I'm fairly new too. I was using an Igloo cooler with a homemade sprinkler system made of PVC but that sparge process is different from this new set up. I guess I'll have to experiment with it.

My 3 kettle set up is this, BK = 25 Gallon, MT = 10 gallon and HLT = 6.5 gallon. I'm not sure if the HLT is big enough. I suppose I could add more water to the HLT but it would disrupt the sparging process with having to get it back up to temp, which I'm fairly new too. I was using an Igloo cooler with a homemade sprinkler system made of PVC but that sparge process is different from this new set up. I guess I'll have to experiment with it.

6.5 gallon is big enough if you are doing 5 gallon batches. Way too small if you want to do 10 or 11 gallon batches. Same with your mash tun, if you want to do any high gravity beers for 10/11 gallon batch, 10 gallon is too small.

I wondered on the HLT for volume. So on a 10 gallon MT, water displacement on the grain for a 15 gallon batch would be over the top? Damn, I was afraid of this, having to buy another kettle. Edit: I supposed it's not cut and dry on this question as it depends on the size of the grain bill..

EDIT, EDIT: I've been using the Packers.org, Can I Mash It? Calculator. This sheds all types of light on this question.

I wondered on the HLT for volume. So on a 10 gallon MT, water displacement on the grain for a 15 gallon batch would be over the top? Damn, I was afraid of this, having to buy another kettle. Edit: I supposed it's not cut and dry on this question as it depends on the size of the grain bill..

EDIT, EDIT: I've been using the Packers.org, Can I Mash It? Calculator. This sheds all types of light on this question.

Let me put it in perspective. I do 1:1.25 ration as far as grain to water ratio. I just did a 11 gallon batch of a low gravity pale ale.

My mash ton is a 50 quart(12.5 gallons), my HLT/BK is 15.5 gallon keggle.

This recipe called for 24.76 quarts(6.2 gallons) of water for mash in.
This recipe called for 7.2 gallons 1st Batch Sparge
This recipe called for 3.1 gallons 2nd Batch Sparge

I decided to do 10 gallon batch sparge instead of both, and that maxed out my mash ton completely.

For doing 11 gallon batches in the future I'm going to upgrade my cooler from a 50 quart to a 70 quart.

So for me for doing 10/11 gallon batches, especially when I do my stout, a 70 quart cooler is going to better suit me. Plus as you can see, if I need 10 gallons of sparge water, then a pot needs to be 12 gallon minimum.

Also, if you are using a 10 gallon cooler and 1:1.25 ratio, then around 23 -24 lbs of grain will max it out.

For my blonde all, I only use a little over 17lbs of grain for a 11 batch.
For my choc oatmeal stout, I use 33.75lbs of grain for a 11 batch. There is no way you can do this in a 10 gallon MT.

Oooo, careful using PVC. Not meant for nearly the temps we're dealing with. I wouldn't even mess around with CPVC which is rated for higher temps. Cool that you have a 25 gal BK, but the others are way too small to make use of any more than 10-15 gallons of it. With a 10 gal MT, it would be hard to even make a 10 gal batch. Nothing wrong with a BK that's oversized though. Gives you PLENTY of room to expand. I have 25 BK, 25 MT, and 20 HLT and love it.

It looks like I'll brew 5 gallon batches through the winter until I can purchase another kettle for the MT. Move the current 10 gallon kettle over in the spot of the HLT.

It looks like I'll brew 5 gallon batches through the winter until I can purchase another kettle for the MT. Move the current 10 gallon kettle over in the spot of the HLT.

Or a large cooler for a MT. Much cheaper option, just not as pretty :rockin:

I have a big cooler I was sparging in. I wanted to move to an all kettle setup though. I can get a perdy one from Northern Brewer, a Megapot for around 350 for a 20 gallon with valve and thermometer.

42008_a_edit.jpg

I have a big cooler I was sparging in. I wanted to move to an all kettle setup though. I can get a perdy one from Northern Brewer, a Megapot for around 350 for a 20 gallon with valve and thermometer.

If you don't mind be a do it yourselfer, you could do a 15.5 gallon Keggle for much cheaper than that.

Back