Plumbed my brewstand with inline water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergrump

Reaction score
I was getting sick of carrying full pots from my laundry room to my garage, or acting as a one-man bucket brigade to fill my HLT with brewing liquor. I decided to plumb my brewstand with a copper water manifold so I could plug in a garden hose and get on-demand brewing liquor plus cold water for chilling my wort. Garden hose water tastes bad, so I needed a filter to clean the water that will be used as brewing liquor. I live in the Vancouver (BC, Canada) area, and our water was recently voted best in the world, so I wouldn't require a filter otherwise, except for the rare times when the municipal water supply flushes the lines with extra chlorine. But, it doesn't hurt.

I created a copper manifold with an in-line water filter, and a bypass to route water to my chiller. This is before mounting to the bottom of my brewstand:
20140618_2127211-63188.jpg

20140618_2126461-63187.jpg

I tested it for leaks and surprised myself with my soldering ability. I'm getting better at it!

The line continues towards the lower-left of the image and terminates with a ball valve and a hose barb.

Here it is mounted to my brew stand:
20140621_1640081-63189.jpg

20140621_1640521-63190.jpg

The blue line at the far end of the brewstand is meant to plug into a chiller. I intend to purchase a plate chiller that will be mounted to my stand and the blue hose at the far end will attach permanently to the cold water input of the chiller. I might have to replace the blue hose with a braided line - I haven't checked how hot the stand gets near the bottom.

I've tested it and overall it works great. There's no off-taste on the output side of the filter - the water tastes clean and fresh.

The only potential flaw is with the power supply for my two 12-volt pumps. You can see near the middle of image 3 above that my power packs are plugged into an extension cord and strapped to the bottom of the frame. It would pose a serious danger if water were to come into contact with the power supply, and it could potentially charge the entire frame without me knowing till it's too late. The flaw is with the power supply and not the water line, however, and I'll have to find a more compact power supply that can be safely contained within a watertight box soon.

Just wanted to show off a little 'cause I'm so proud of my latest project. Thanks for indulging me.

looking fwd to doing this as well. chicago water isnt all that bad, but i would like a filter any damn way. :mug:

I bought a filter housing for $27 at Canadian Tire. It was pretty bare bones - no filters included or hookups. I'll post the make and model tomorrow.

FYI - I discovered that this housing (and many others, not sure if it's standard) has 3/4 inch fittings. I expected 1/2 for some reason and had to pick up a reducer to go near the elbow and a 3/4 by 5/8 compression fitting to go near the copper T. Not sure if that helps, or if it's common knowledge that filter housings use 3/4 fittings.

Nice work on the manifold.

You mentioned you were worried about the potential for electrocution. When you plug your stand in are you using a GFCI outlet? If not, you should be!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was getting sick of carrying full pots from my laundry room to my garage, or acting as a one-man bucket brigade to fill my HLT with brewing liquor. I decided to plumb my brewstand with a copper water manifold so I could plug in a garden hose and get on-demand brewing liquor plus cold water for chilling my wort. Garden hose water tastes bad, so I needed a filter to clean the water that will be used as brewing liquor. I live in the Vancouver (BC, Canada) area, and our water was recently voted best in the world, so I wouldn't require a filter otherwise, except for the rare times when the municipal water supply flushes the lines with extra chlorine. But, it doesn't hurt.

I created a copper manifold with an in-line water filter, and a bypass to route water to my chiller. This is before mounting to the bottom of my brewstand:

20140618_2127211-63188.jpg

20140618_2126461-63187.jpg

I tested it for leaks and surprised myself with my soldering ability. I'm getting better at it!

The line continues towards the lower-left of the image and terminates with a ball valve and a hose barb.

Here it is mounted to my brew stand:

20140621_1640081-63189.jpg

20140621_1640521-63190.jpg

The blue line at the far end of the brewstand is meant to plug into a chiller. I intend to purchase a plate chiller that will be mounted to my stand and the blue hose at the far end will attach permanently to the cold water input of the chiller. I might have to replace the blue hose with a braided line - I haven't checked how hot the stand gets near the bottom.

I've tested it and overall it works great. There's no off-taste on the output side of the filter - the water tastes clean and fresh.

The only potential flaw is with the power supply for my two 12-volt pumps. You can see near the middle of image 3 above that my power packs are plugged into an extension cord and strapped to the bottom of the frame. It would pose a serious danger if water were to come into contact with the power supply, and it could potentially charge the entire frame without me knowing till it's too late. The flaw is with the power supply and not the water line, however, and I'll have to find a more compact power supply that can be safely contained within a watertight box soon.

Just wanted to show off a little 'cause I'm so proud of my latest project. Thanks for indulging me.

Really nice job. I'd suggest getting some beverage grade hose w/ standard hose connections. You'll eliminate that "rubber hose" taste which your filter won't/can't always prevent.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back