Plug or Cap for Sankey Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNelson

Reaction score
On sankey kegs, would there be a way to remove the spear, and cap off the top port? I've never taken one apart, so I'm not familiar with the workings of the spear assembly. If the spear is removed will a coupler still seal? Or, preferably, with the spear removed is there a way to thread in a simple plug?

I'd like to use one as a simple barrel, with a valve on the bottom and a plug on top, that will hold pressure, and not require any welding.

Cheers

If its a standard commercial sanke you can pull the spear and use a 2" tri clamp cap with a modified gasket to seal it. Check with bobby at brew hardware or norcal brewing solutions they should be able to get you what you need. Be sure to relieve all of the pressure before trying to remove the spear. All the ones I have done have a retaining clip at the top of the spear after removed you give the spear a quarter turn and it comes right out.

If its a standard commercial sanke you can pull the spear and use a 2" tri clamp cap with a modified gasket to seal it.

Really?! That would be great. I had assumed that people were having to weld tri clamp fittings on for those setups. I'll have a look, thanks.

Going to reach out to Bobby, but anyone know off the top of their head what kind of pressure the modified gaskets can handle?

I would assume you wouldn't want to go any higher than the sankey is rated; which is 60PSI (I believe).
All of the ones I have seen have the PSI rating stamped into the top.

What is your use case?

I would assume you wouldn't want to go any higher than the sankey is rated; which is 60PSI (I believe).
All of the ones I have seen have the PSI rating stamped into the top.

What is your use case?

I just came across a post that stated: "There are also tri-clover kits available to use these as fermenters, but the gasket will not hold much pressure."

Looking to use one as a brett solera for finished beer, under pressure, with a ball valve on the bottom and a co2 hookup on top. A spunding valve to avoid over carbonation. I like the idea on having a simple way of pulling samples, with minimal equipment. So a brite tank more or less.

Actually I think norcal brewing either does or can make exactly what you need.. I have seen a tri clamp cap with a ball lock gas post and a pressure relief built on to it on their site.. just not sure if its 2" or 1-1/2".. couldn't tell you how much pressure it will hold but I think you should be fine..

Bobby got back to me. He hasn't personally taken the tri clamp kit above 10psi. I'll have to pick one up and see. I'm hoping it will hold at 30psi at least. I'll message the NorCal guys as well and see if they've done any further testing on theirs.

I just came across a post that stated: "There are also tri-clover kits available to use these as fermenters, but the gasket will not hold much pressure."

Looking to use one as a brett solera for finished beer, under pressure, with a ball valve on the bottom and a co2 hookup on top. A spunding valve to avoid over carbonation. I like the idea on having a simple way of pulling samples, with minimal equipment. So a brite tank more or less.

Could you do this with just a sanke tap?

Perhaps cut an inch off the dip tube if there will be a lot of sediment in the keg?

What your describing is not far from a tapped sanke key???

Back