Plug fell off Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uvmnick

Reaction score
I brewed a batch Friday night. On Saturday my wife knocked off the plug on the carboy. It was probably off for a few hours, sitting on the floor.

I had to fill it again and then popped it back on. Its bubbling away, but I was curious if having it off for extended time then adding it back on is a no no?Obviously, it increases the risk of contamination. But I should be fine, right?

I brewed a batch Friday night. On Saturday my wife knocked off the plug on the carboy. It was probably off for a few hours, sitting on the floor.

I had to fill it again and then popped it back on. Its bubbling away, but I was curious if having it off for extended time then adding it back on is a no no?Obviously, it increases the risk of contamination. But I should be fine, right?

You should be fine. as long as nothing fell inside the carboy and you have good strong fermentation.

A lot of people (myself included) deliberately leave the carboy open for the first day or two of active fermentation, I usually cover opening with sanitized foil, and only then place airlock. For many saison strains people do open fermentation to prevent yeast stalling.

Latest posts

Back