Pliny the Half-breed. Worst idea ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoft

Reaction score
So I told myself I wouldn't do it...but of course I bought the Pliny the Elder mini-mash kit from Austin's today. Seemed like a good deal. I love me some Pliny but I do have a similar (I hope) DIPA already in the primary. So I says to myself...self... how's about TWO five gallon batches using half the ingredients for each one. WIE? Probably. Sacreligous? Definately. But hey, I started this hobby to save money and brewing these 70+ dollar batches is a bullrush in the wrong direction. Any one think this isn't the worst idea ever? Any one done this before? Though:drunk:ts?

Still can't decide whether to brew the whole enchilada or split the ingredients and pitch half on a pac man cake and the other half later with WL Cali V. Any votes yea or nay much appreciated.

If you are brewing DIPA's you should definitely be buying your hops in quantitiy. Places like hopsdirect sell by the pound, and places like hops to you sell by the 1/4 lb. Other vendors regularly have specials on bulk purchases as well. That should help offset the hops which become the primary expense in a DIPA.

As to whether or not you should split your batch it is really your decision. There should certainly be enough hops for a couple fine standard IPA's. It depends on how much you had your heart set on Pliny, and how happy you'd be with a standard IPA.

It might only have 2425453 IBUs then

Nah, Pliny is actually right about where an IIPA should be. Technically the style can go a bit higher or a bit lower.

You can certainly split it if you choose, but if you do you'll be making IPA's, not an IIPA.

Nice! Thanks for the correction and thanks all for the great advice. Thanks to you, five gallons of Pliny was saved from a tragically premature dilution. I will give you all a toast when I drink it...Now if someone could please explain this all to my wife....

I would not split it. I would also look into buying the ingredients separate. I can make 10 gallons AG for the kit cost of 5 gallons.

Back