Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 302314

Reaction score
Hey All, long time reader, first time poster... I dunno, its sounds like a call in sort of thing to say..

I'm absolutely a novice having 3 batches under my belt to this point, each one better than the last which I am beyond thrilled about.
I started home brewing when I was in my mid 20s with FestaBrew kits.. as a youngin' with little time to dedicate to the hobby, this was an easy entry point and was fun to say, here.. I made this. I gave it up after about a year and a half citing "to much work" as an excuse. Really, it was just laziness. Now, in my mid 40's, the flame is being fanned once again with renewed vigor.
I find myself in the exceptionally fortunate position to have been gifted a Brewzilla v3.1.1 for fathers day (there was a 1/2 price deal at my local shop). This is incredible equipment to have so early in my "hobby career" but I'm very excited to get started with all grain batches. I'm a researcher and measure twice cut once sort of guy so I have measured amount of confidence in tackling this with enough knowledge to get a drinkable result. Eventually I would like to find drinkable results a source of pride as I share with my friends. I look forward to the words, "you made this?". Understanding of course, that may be a long road.

This forum has been an invaluable resource for a fella such as myself and I will be leaning heavily on experiences shared here in the future to be sure.

I recently listed to a podcast about recipe formulation and the thing that was being driven home was, if you start with a 10 ingredient batch and there's something about it you don't like, how would you ever know how to correct it. So, my first attempts are going to be very simple batches with slight variations and rather than brew 1 large batch to start, I'm leaning toward 2 half batches essentially the same but with 1 change.
1) 5lbs 2-row Canadian Malt / 13grams of mosaic @ 60min / 1 Pack M44 yeast.
2) 2.5lbs 2-row Canadian Malt + 2.5lbs Vienna malt / 13g of mosaic @ 60min / 1 Pack M44 yeast.

I realize these are very basic and simple recipes, but I look forward to getting to know the ingredients and the process.

If any of you have any suggestion in line with my approach, I'm ALL ears.

Thanks all, enjoying this forum and the hobby a great deal.

Welcome aboard. Nova Scotia is beautiful, one of my favorite parts of the world. Wish chowder here was like it is in Atlantic Canada. Sounds like you are laying a good foundation and will be getting those compliments from your friends soon enough. You might even get tired of hearing them!

Welcome to HBT.
Looks like you're getting a good start. Are you using some brewing software?
I just started using Brewfather, seems like a worthwhile investment to keep track of my goings on.
Do you have a better suggestion? I love to hear it.

Welcome aboard. Nova Scotia is beautiful, one of my favorite parts of the world. Wish chowder here was like it is in Atlantic Canada. Sounds like you are laying a good foundation and will be getting those compliments from your friends soon enough. You might even get tired of hearing them!
Thanks! It is lovely here. It’s funny you mentioned chowder, I just had some this weekend at the in-laws.. delicious stuff!

I just started using Brewfather, seems like a worthwhile investment to keep track of my goings on.
Do you have a better suggestion? I love to hear it.

I made the switch from Beersmith to Brewers Friend and haven't looked back. I believe they are owned by HBT and you can access everything from the app or web enabled tech. I love the brew day timers/check list for brew day!

I made the switch from Beersmith to Brewers Friend and haven't looked back. I believe they are owned by HBT and you can access everything from the app or web enabled tech. I love the brew day timers/check list for brew day!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out.

Back