Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing your process, @Beermeister32 !

DE-OXYGENATE BREWING WATER USING ¼ PACKET OF DRY US-05 AND 2 TABLESPOONS CORN SUGAR TAKEN FROM INGREDIENT LIST APPROXIMATELY 15 MINUTES BEFORE MASH. DE-OXYGENATE SPARGE AND LATER ADDITION WATER AT THE SAME TIME USING SAME PROCEDURE. ADD ¼ TEASPOON AMYLASE ENZYME INTO MASH WATER. PRE-BOIL VOLUME 7.5 GALLONS, POST BOIL VOLUME 6 GALLONS WITH 90 MINUTE BOIL.

Interesting procedure. What is the benefit of de-oxygenating the brewing water? I'm unfamiliar with this approach. You also seem concerned with O2 exposure in your mash, which I imagine is difficult with a recirculating setup.

In regards to your grainbill, are you using DME because of a limit in size of your mash tun? Why not add to the Pilsner malt?

Are you starting from RO water?

He is following LODO (low dissolved oxygen) brewing SOP I believe.

Thanks for sharing your process, @Beermeister32 !

Interesting procedure. What is the benefit of de-oxygenating the brewing water? I'm unfamiliar with this approach. You also seem concerned with O2 exposure in your mash, which I imagine is difficult with a recirculating setup.

In regards to your grainbill, are you using DME because of a limit in size of your mash tun? Why not add to the Pilsner malt?

Are you starting from RO water?

Yes, this is a low dissolved oxygen procedure. Basically you are trying to minimize oxidation to whatever degree possible. You certainly could add more Pilsner malt on the front end. It was added at the back end of the boil to increase the hop utilization by lowering the wort density during much of the boil. You could use RO water, I've been using distilled and building up from there.

Just kegged this up.

BUT:
I used Voss Kveik, and added 50% additional dryhopping for each.
Added my Destrose at 24 hours after pitching

1.071 - 1.011

Just kegged this up.

BUT:
I used Voss Kveik, and added 50% additional dryhopping for each.
Added my Destrose at 24 hours after pitching

1.071 - 1.011

Delicious.

Increasingthe dryhop by 50% makes the aroma really jump out of the glass big, grapefruit, pine etc.

Definitely not a clone, as its super orangey from the Voss. but its tasty. dry, and the colour is spot on i reckon.
added the 200g of dextrose after 24 hours fermentation worked a treat.

Latest posts

Back