Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any difference if I used Wyeast 1272 instead of the cali yeast 001 or 1056? I have 1272 washed from two hearted batch and would like to use this up to save money.

It should be more or less fine. 1056 is generally a little cleaner, but 1272 will still make great beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled my batch today and it went smoothly. Sample tasted something like a grapefruit grown on a pine tree. I can't to try it out once it carbs up.

could I sub the 45min columbus for magnum? I have 3/4 left in freezer but not sure if this would be a good sub for columbus...:confused:

I don't think it would change it too much at a 45 minute addition, but it will a little. If you are trying to clone the original, then I would say no. If you just want to make a really good beer, then go for it.

Finally read through this entire thread. So from what I can gather, if I'm planning on brewing the extract version of this recipe (which I am), it probably won't attenuate as well as the AG version. So what's the best way to compensate? The 2-row bill converts to 7.2 lbs of DME, so should I up that to 8 or 9 lbs? Up the corn sugar to 1 or 1.5 lbs? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Forgive me for not reading through all 33 pages but has anyone subbed MO as the base malt? I still have a fair bit of it left and would rather not add more to my inventory as storage space is at a premium.

I was finally able to try the real Pliny The Elder last week. To me, this has lived up to the hype. I went in expecting this to be such a great beer--and it is certainly that.

My question is for those who have had Pliny the Elder, have you since been able to taste another beer that is just as great--or...even better?

By the way, I just kegg'd my PTE clone two days ago...if it tastes anything like the real stuff...holy $*^! I cannot wait. :)

I was finally able to try the real Pliny The Elder last week. To me, this has lived up to the hype. I went in expecting this to be such a great beer--and it is certainly that.

My question is for those who have had Pliny the Elder, have you since been able to taste another beer that is just as great--or...even better?

By the way, I just kegg'd my PTE clone two days ago...if it tastes anything like the real stuff...holy $*^! I cannot wait. :)

Heady topper

Mine turned out great and I am certainly enjoying drinking it. I followed the recipe which came from the doubleipa.pdf. Fantastic beer that I will some day brew again. Only 16 left. I need to find more bottles!

I just transferred a brew for my brother in law to the secondary. It had good color and 1.024 gravity. it tasted fairly bitter. with that mellow out in the dry hopping or is it supposed to be more bitter?

Second time trying this and the boiled, hopped wort tasted solid and bitter as you'd expect. How well do you think this beer would fare sans dry-hopping?

Don't skip the dry hopping. If you are really curious just bottle a couple using carb tabs when you rack to secondary for comparison.

I just transferred a brew for my brother in law to the secondary. It had good color and 1.024 gravity. it tasted fairly bitter. with that mellow out in the dry hopping or is it supposed to be more bitter?

The recipe on the first page says this brew should clock in at 95 IBUs.

Yes. It's supposed to be extremely bitter. It's not supposed to "mellow out," you shouldn't want it to "mellow out." The dry hopping will simply add a strong aroma of hops to pair with the stratospheric bitterness.

Also your final gravity should be lower than 1.024. How long has it been fermenting before you racked it to another fermenter? How did you measure the gravity (hydrometer or refractometer)?

I would go with american malts. You might be able to found out Vinnie's supplier if you look hard enough online.

Brewed vinnie recipe to a t... accounting for slightly lower efficiency. Ive brewed similar beers but am going with his hop schedule this time. Only difference is I'm going with a half oz of each the 2nd dry hop and am leaving them in the keg after pulling the first 3 oz.

Love my keg hops

Yeah, and I feel like the taste profile on Pliny is dry finish with tons of dry hops over a long period of time as opposed to a heady topper profile which is slightly sweeter, possibly even more hops, and short dryhop contact times (a little smoother in the end)

I see that on Russian rivers website they say they include amarillo but this clone lacks it. Reasoning? Where would you incorporate amarillo in the boil?

Also do you just pitch the 1 packet of s-05?

I see that on Russian rivers website they say they include amarillo but this clone lacks it. Reasoning? Where would you incorporate amarillo in the boil?

Also do you just pitch the 1 packet of s-05?

The recipe posted is vinnies from quite a while back so it may have changed some depending on the availability or cost of some hops over others. He says in the article he does like amarillo for ipas so it may very well be a standard in today's Pliny.

I'd include an ounce at the end and for the dry hops. Maybe replacing or in addition to some of the simcoe or all of the centennial.

Going to attempt a PtE clone this weekend and was wondering if any of you have tried this recipe from Bertus Brewery's blog (http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/pliny-elder-clone-30.html)

Recipe below:

Brewed: 07-13-13
Dry Hopped: 07-23-13
Kegged: 08-04-13
OG: 1.071
FG:1.010
ABV: 8.0%
IBU: 90-100-ish
12 Gallons

26lbs 2-row
18oz Carapils
10oz C40
1.5lbs Dextrose
Mash @ 150
50ml Hop Extract @ 90
10ml Hop Extract @ 45
2oz Simcoe @ 30
2oz Centennial @ 0
5.5oz Simcoe @ 0
Dry Hop 1
2.5oz CTZ
1.5oz Simcoe
1.5oz Centennial

Dry Hop 2
1oz ea CTZ & Simcoe
.5oz ea Centennial & Amarillo
California Ale Yeast - re-pitched from Cali Common

The color of the Bertus clone appears to be closer to the original, imo. What do you guys think? Anyone tried this one?

Well, I seem to have been bitten by the DIPA bug...
I've always enjoyed a good hoppy beer, and as a result have leaned toward IPA's but being primarily into cannabis, I've avoided becoming a beer nerd ;) HOWEVER;

I've recently (finally) entered into brewing and have began to pay a bit more attention. This started after trying a DIPA from a local brewery, Silver City's Whoopass IPA. Hoppy, bitter but with some sweet and lacking the "wrinkle your face" type bitterness that many current IPA's seem to possess. I've never tried PTE but the description sounded very similar and then I picked up a 6'er of Lagunitas Maximus, and while decidedly different, was definitely in the same ballpark, I realized I was on the right path. De-f'n-licious.
So, after finding the PTE pdf I ran to the LHBS and I'm chomping at the bit to brew an extract version this coming weekend! Cheers to all who've contributed to the thread...
I'll post my result/thoughts in a few weeks

sinc,
d

Did a collaboration brew for Big Brew day May 3rd. My friend used WLP001 and I used Wyeast 1056. I fermented at 69* any ideas as what that might produce as opposed to fermenting at 67* like the recipe suggests?

Same difference. You should still get a nice clean flavor if you pitched a good amount of healthy yeast. If you underpitched and actual temps inside the fermenter got much above 70, you may notice a little harshness or extra warmth but in my experience Cali Ale yeast is very forgiving.

I tend to let mine start around 65 and keep it within a couple degrees before letting it warm up to room temp... 70-72 to finish. I'll stop keeping temps in check around day 4 when fermentation begins to slow. Aside from Lagers or maybe the occasional Belgian, that's pretty much how all my yeast gets treated.

That yeast is pretty solid until you hit about 65F, then it's split. I like 62F for a day or two to get the peach tones. If you ferment completely at that temp, it tastes like keytones (impure alcohols that make you more in over - usually quite fruity). I don't prefer it but some do.

I brewed an extract version on Sunday morning and it's bubbling away under the house @ a fairly steady 60f ambient air temp. I used Wyeast 1056...

Cheers,
d

just finished putting the yeast in the fermenter on this one. I built a brew rig and used this as my first brew. don't know how good of an idea that was. I started the mash at 152 but didn't have my LT up to temp for my RIMS and the temp fell to 148. I got it back up to 152 right at the end of the mash. In all the confusion I for some reason mashed for 90 minutes and not the 60 minutes. I sparged a little too fast. by the time I realized this my LT was about empty and the MT was about full. The boil, cooling, transfer, and adding the yeast went well. LOL!! I ended up with a FG of 1.055. I would have to say that this isn't a good thing. Only time will tell. On a brighter note, I did learn a few things about my rig for the next brew and I did have fun screwing this one all up!!

Forgive me for not reading every post to see if it was already mentioned, but how would you change the hop boil schedule if you were using pellets instead of whole leaf? Thanks

I've made mistakes from the get-go but after 2 1/2 weeks, it looks and smells just fine ;)...
So, I boiled my extract for the full 90 min, added the first round of dry-hops at the beginning of fermentation and neglected to take an OG reading. I am, however, learning something I believe.
I took a gravity reading today as I was added the second, second round of dry-hops. That is, I added the called for second round when I should have been adding the first and then, a week later, added another. I hope that's not too confusing... Anyway, the gravity is at 1.010-1.011, so at least that's where it should finish.
IMAG0013.jpg

We'll see soon enough.

Cheers,
d

I wouldn't. Ive done both and there may be better utilization with pellets but it is not an outrageous difference.

Ordered grains and hops, should be all here next week. Using Amerillo as FWH stated in another clone otherwise both are ultra-close. My biggest fermenter is 6gallons, so shooting for only 4.25. 😳

I thought I would give a quick update. Even though I thought I messed up my brew, I am 5 days into the fermentation and it seems to be doing great!!!!!! It started fermenting in about 5 1/2 hours and has been going strong. It has just started to slow but is still going stronger then any other beer I have brewed. I have a conical and I tried to get some of the junk out of it tonight but, it ran out clean and smelled AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to finish this beer and try it.

Forgive me for not reading every post to see if it was already mentioned, but how would you change the hop boil schedule if you were using pellets instead of whole leaf? Thanks

I usually do not change the schedule at all as the difference in final product isn't noticeable, by my pallet anyway. I will say when I use leaf I usually adjust my mash to give me more wort as the leaf sucks up a lot more than pellets. I aim for about 0.5-1 gallon more to account for this in a 10 gallon batch...I also like to use a mix of hops types as leaf makes a nice bed to filter through. Best of luck!

Back