Pliny the Elder Clone - Why So Pricey ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
Got an email from Austin HB. They want $62 for AG, $72 for Extract. And of course you would still have to pay shipping charges.

Why so high? Or am I just a cheapskate ?

Russian River Brewing Company. Santa Rosa, California.

This is our version of the 14 oz hop bomb brewed by the fine folks of the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, California. This beer has been ranked number 1 in the annual readers' poll in Zymurgy Magazine six years in a row.

Makes 5 US gallons

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 8 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Dry Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar, 0.5 lb Base Grains, 1.25 lb Specialty Grains
Mini Mash: 7 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar, 2.25 lb Base Grains, 1.25 lb Specialty Grains
All Grain: 12.25 lb Base Grains, 1.25 lb Specialty Grains, 1 lb Corn Sugar

separation
KIT OPTION
Select Recipe Style: LEX = Liquid Malt Exract Recipe, DEX = Dry Malt Extract Recipe, LMM = Liquid (malt) Mini Mash Recipe, DMM = Dry (malt) Mini Mash Recipe, AG = All Grain Recipe (requires advanced techniques and equipment)

My first thought is it has to be the almost 1 lb of hops.

14 oz x $2.59/oz (avg) = $37.50 just on hops. *took these numbers from Austin HB's site*

13.5 lbs x $2/lb (avg) = $27.00 on grain

that is $64.50 again just an average. You could probably save some by buying the hops in bulk, but i am not sure how many different varieties are in there. To me that is a lot to spend on 5 gallons of brew. If you can get bulk grains and hops you could cut the price way down, but that may not be an option for you.

I usually go to Northern Brewer's site and find the recipe PDF and look at the ingredients included in the kit and the go to my LHBS and pick up what i need.

Follow the link above and click the "Additional Info" tab and the click the "click here" link to view the recipe.

I am in AK though so shipping makes online ordering to spendy for me.

I usually go to Northern Brewer's site and find the recipe PDF and look at the ingredients included in the kit and the go to my LHBS and pick up what i need.

Yeah, I do the same thing with MoreBeer. That way I can also scale down from 5G to whatever I want. It also gives you the option to made personal adjustments to taste.

Follow the link above and click the "Additional Info" tab and the click the "click here" link to view the recipe.

I use brew-master's. It will take a little time to plug in the info, but it beats spending all that money for 5 gallons.......Sheesh.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/

It's the absurd amount of hops(last clone i helped formulate for a customer was like 155 ibu) iirc 2 or 3 separate dry hop additions, lots of 30 min....just silly, for clone that will never really taste like pliny

It's the absurd amount of hops(last clone i helped formulate for a customer was like 155 ibu) iirc 2 or 3 separate dry hop additions, lots of 30 min....just silly, for clone that will never really taste like pliny

Where can you even find Pliny, I'm near a decent sized city and I can't find it anywhere ?

Where can you even find Pliny, I'm near a decent sized city and I can't find it anywhere ?

You either need to live in one of these states:

http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers/

Or you need someone to send you a bottle. And they normally sell out in store in a day or so. Some people are selling on Craigslist for triple retail. Kind of ridiculous hype if you ask me. I think there are beers that are readily available that are at the same level, if not better.

Capture2.JPG

I use brew-master's. It will take a little time to plug in the info, but it beats spending all that money for 5 gallons.......Sheesh.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/

Check out the thread on here about them before you order from those guys again.

OP, it's basic economics, supply and demand. They charge that much because apparently people are willing to pay that much. I agree that it's outrageous. The real Pliny recipe from Vinnie can be found here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

The gist of it is:
  • 13.25 pounds 2-row
  • 0.6 pounds C45
  • 0.6 pounds Carapils
  • 0.75 pounds corn sugar
  • 5.5 oz CTZ
  • 4.75 oz Simcoe
  • 2.25 oz Centennial

Which is probably roughly $50 worth of ingredients at (relatively high) retail, non-bulk prices.

Sad thing is, the Austin recipe is about a pound short on base malt (they give you 0.25 pounds extra corn sugar instead) and I wouldn't be surprised if they substitute cheaper hops as well.

You either need to live in one of these states:

http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers/

Or you need someone to send you a bottle. And they normally sell out in store in a day or so. Some people are selling on Craigslist for triple retail. Kind of ridiculous hype if you ask me. I think there are beers that are readily available that are at the same level, if not better.

So it just seems weird to me that they distribute to PA but not NM which is right below colorado...

I bought the ingredients for the clone and it still costed me about $70 after tax. It hasn't been dry hopped yet but it taste so freaking good! I should have dry hopped a week or two ago but I need to get my bottles in order so it's not sitting on them too long.

Get it from MoreBeer, the AG price without discounts is $46. A great price for an awesome recipe w/hops and grains.

I used to live in NorCal and I was a member of a wine club. They just so happened to also carry Pliney. I ordered some wine for my wife after moving out of state and they were kind enough to to do a 50/50 case for me. If anyone is really hard up for Pliney pm me and I'll try to get you the wine clubs info.

They run a business. They have overhead and have to make up the kit, and make a profit. If the price is right for you they will package everything you need and deliver it (for a fee).

If you think it is too steep for you, and you still want to make the beer, go ahead and spend the time to find and get the separate ingredients. It will take time, and you might not save much in the end. It is a choice you have to make.

No, I'm not talking to the AG crowd that have 100+ lbs of grain (mostly at bulk prices), and 20+ lbs of hops in their freezer of many different varieties to pick from. Some people just don't have access to this, probably the majority of home-brewers. Based on the recipe noted Earlier (reproduced below), I could probably make it for $23, including yeast - but I have everything already.

The gist of it is:
13.25 pounds 2-row
0.6 pounds C45
0.6 pounds Carapils
0.75 pounds corn sugar
5.5 oz CTZ
4.75 oz Simcoe
2.25 oz Centennial

I bought the extract kit from Northern when they sent me a 20% off code. I'm pretty sure I paid about $40 delivered.
I haven't brewed it yet, waiting for a day over 50 without snow or rain.

Back