Please tell me i have not ruined my beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad2027

Reaction score
I am new to all this and still learning the ropes... I have just bottled a fresh larger batch however i used the PSR solution that my home brew store recommended to clean / sanitise the bottles..
My problem is i did not rinse these with hot/cold water after using the solution before bottling...

I am sure that 99% of the solution was out of bottles however i am worried if i did not do this what will happen..

Please help, Brad

What will likely happen is that you will have beer that tastes OK but will have no head on it. The tiny bit of detergent left in the bottles will kill any head formation. Here is a thread in which I searched for the reason my beers were headless.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-guillotine-syndrome.296596/

Come to think of it, I did exactly the same thing yesterday when bottling.
I washed my bottles in a bucket of OneStep sanitizer and a bit of StarSan solution and let them air dry - but didn't rinse them out with plain water. If or when the beer has a lame stand of foam I'll know to leave the StarSan OUT next time around.

I washed my bottles in a bucket of OneStep sanitizer and a bit of StarSan solution and let them air dry - but didn't rinse them out with plain water. If or when the beer has a lame stand of foam I'll know to leave the StarSan OUT next time around.

What makes you think it's the StarSan?

I use StarSan and never rinse. Never had a problem with the beer.

I don't rinse with tap water because: bacteria! :)

This last batch (yesterday), I tried a thing where I poured a cup of boiled-for-sanitation water down the bottling tubes before starting, to get all the sanitizer out, but (a) I won't know if there's any difference for 2 weeks, when carbonation completes (b) It seemed like an awful lot of hassle, given that (c) I've never had a problem with sanitizer ruining beer in the past.

I'm pretty sure you haven't ruined your beer. At least not in this step. :)

What makes you think it's the StarSan?

StarSan is 50% phosphoric acid and 15% dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. The latter is a detergent.
That, and my beers usually have good foam stands.
I was in a hurry yesterday and usually won't put StarSan and diluted OneStep together for a reason. They tend to foam when mixed in solution because one is acid, and OneStep is a sodium percarbonate, no-rinse base cleanser.

Last edited:

One Step is a cleaner/sanitizer that doesn't require a rinse. Starsan is a wet contact sanitizer that should not be allowed to dry before filling. Neither would require nor desire a rinse step.

The OP's PSR does need a rinse. It's active ingredient is Chlorinated Tri-Sodium Phosphate. Without rinsing it may leave enough chlorine compound to affect the taste of the beer. It may or may not affect the heading.

...then I feel better.
I was also cleaning a soiled steel kettle yesterday and was in a hurry. I normally don't mix the two products together and generally use StarSan as a spritz to spray surfaces.

StarSan is 50% phosphoric acid and 15% dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. The latter is a detergent.

I can barely say that much less understand what it means to head retention. :p

I was asking because so many people use it and don't seem to have issues with it. I'm also curious because while I have decent head on my beers, they are not generally show stoppers. I've generally though that was due to the fact that virtually all my beers are 7%+ ABV.

Latest posts

Back