Please remind me of when I was 16...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
So SWMBO's cerebrally challenged offspring brought some friends over before heading to another friend's house for whatever the hell teenagers do now (drugs, alcohol, pre-marital unprotected sex, Yahtzee, etc etc etc...)...

I am working on my E-HLT in the garage and go around the house to turn on the hose for leak testing and see a cloud of tobacco smoke resembling the leftovers from Lil' Boy after his introduction to Hiroshima... You know, I could give two ****s less if these kids wanna kill themselves off early... More power to them...

However, I send my step-goober a text advising him that any cig butts found in my yard would result in something that would be considered a crime against humanity by the world courts....

How ****ing rude is it to just toss garbage in someone else's yard? I mean I don't go to these kids' houses and **** on the coffee table...

Sad part is it took a 5 minute conversation to get knucklehead to at least pretend he understood my contempt for this situation....

****ing kids these days...

:mad:

I bet your SWMBO loves it when you put her kids down. Maybe work on spending time with them rather than bitching? Seems like a classic example of no father figure/discipline. Just a suggestion. I don't know jack about kids, I've only been a dad for a couple years.

And as a matter of fact, she agreed that I send him the text....

I am in rant mode... That is all...

Hard to become the father figure / disciplinarian when I meet him at 14 and his dad hasn't really been around since he was two....

He isn't a bad kid, just dumb as a two by four sometimes... If he got his head out of his ass and put even a half an effort at it, he would be the greatest lawyer of all time... He has had me thinking in circles about things he was supposed to be in trouble for with his arguments....

how about let the man vent?

props for sending him a text DJ... all I can say is you are getting OLD! Bitching about the kids on your lawn....

LOL... No... Bitching about the kids throwing their butts on my lawn!!!!

I by far wasn't a fairytale kid at that age, but at least I understood respect for other people and their homes...

Post mortem to the first rant... He did go out with a flashlight and get the cigarette butts out of the yard...

Like I said: "I don't know jack about kids, I've only been a dad for a couple years."

I just calls em as I sees em. Maybe I'll be the one cussin my kids in 10 years or so. Probably.

Better go before the opinion police come back.....;)

Good for you. Though tossing cigarette butts wherever it's convenient isn't exactly teenage-only stupidity...for most smokers, all the world's an ashtray.

I completely understand about cigarette butts in the yard. Not to mention
drugs, alcohol, pre-marital unprotected sex, Yahtzee, etc etc etc...)
But if it's any consolation he's probably only 6 - 10 years away from being a decent person. And yes, I speak from experience! - Dwain

Like I said: "I don't know jack about kids, I've only been a dad for a couple years."

I just calls em as I sees em. Maybe I'll be the one cussin my kids in 10 years or so. Probably.

Better go before the opinion police come back.....;)

It is all good man... I know where you are coming from...

I come from a split family and goodness knows I was a PITA to more than my fair share of folks...

What truly boggles my mind about this kid is he will ask permission to make himself food, but doesn't understand why the cigarette butts in the yards bugs me... I wasn't mad at him at that point, but when he started his "free thinking" philosophical bull**** (which he does get from his father) he actually said to me "Well you can't expect respect from other people"....

The funny part is when he is at other peoples' homes, he is a angel... Around here, if he doesn't deem it important, well to hell with everyone in the house, it isn't a big deal then... I have told SWMBO my feelings on that situation... He has no respect for a home based authority figure... It is maddening...

:confused:

Sounds like his (bio) father is a royal jackass. You are probably the best thing that could have happened to him at his age whether either of you realize it or not. At least he was taught to be respectful at other peoples' homes. Thats a good start.

Maybe Mike is right, a taser might be in order. Cigarette butt hits the lawn... ZAP!!:D

My neighbors have a grandkid that lives with them. Dumb isn't exactly the proper term here.
He was smoking weed while on probation...
With a 15 year old kid...
On my neighbor's front porch...
While my neighbor was outside...
My neighbor was a cop...

Idiot.

I woke up a couple of weeks ago and was walking down my driveway to grab the paper. My next door neighbors kid had a party the night before, some of the kids pitched some tents in the back yard and spent the night. Anyway, I'm walking down the driveway and see something. It's a used condom and some cigarette butts. I walked back inside, put on a disposable latex glove, and threw the condom back over there fence on to their patio. Kind of ticked me off at the time, but then I felt back cuz my neighbors are such cool people. Oh well... Kids. What can you do. I did some pretty crazy/stupid things when I was that age.

The funny part is when he is at other peoples' homes, he is a angel... Around here, if he doesn't deem it important, well to hell with everyone in the house, it isn't a big deal then... I have told SWMBO my feelings on that situation... He has no respect for a home based authority figure... It is maddening...

:confused:

That's true of kids of all ages. My kids can be hell on wheels at home, but I'm always hearing how well-behaved they are at other people's houses. Makes me wonder if aliens come and replace them for the time they are away, and give them back when they get home...............

The aliens replace them when they are at home. It's kind of like how they only abduct people when they are alone. That way nobody believes you.

While I understand that ciggy butts in the grass would p!ss you off, it should be the least of your worries about his near-term future.

And for reference, I have 37 yo son in law that STILL doesn't get that throwing your cigarette butts in someone's yard is rude, needless and stupid, because he does it every time he comes over.

I don't text him, I don't throw the snide comments at him; I figure there's a reason he is still doing it at his age, and realize that some people never do actually, really mature.:(

I have to think of something else when I consider what the future is for my grandson.:mad:

'Stupid is, as stupid does.'

Sounds like time for the spear and bag of pemmican. Where are those large carnivores that used to deal with snarky teenagers?

Sounds like your kid is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing...being a kid. I agree with the more discipline comment, if my dad caught me smoking a 14, I would be getting a smack down, not a text message. It's his job to challenge you in every way possible right now...just part of growing up. Come on, it hasn't been that long since you were his age. Try to find something that you 2 have in common and nurture that...all of the other stuff will come. Good Luck!

And as a matter of fact, she agreed that I send him the text....

I am in rant mode... That is all...

Hard to become the father figure / disciplinarian when I meet him at 14 and his dad hasn't really been around since he was two....

He isn't a bad kid, just dumb as a two by four sometimes... If he got his head out of his ass and put even a half an effort at it, he would be the greatest lawyer of all time... He has had me thinking in circles about things he was supposed to be in trouble for with his arguments....

That's true of kids of all ages. My kids can be hell on wheels at home, but I'm always hearing how well-behaved they are at other people's houses. Makes me wonder if aliens come and replace them for the time they are away, and give them back when they get home...............

Haha- I hate to say it, but your kid is so normal! Bernie's right- I have people tell me that want to adopt my son, because he's so great. I'm certain that it's the alien Brent they mean.

I have an almost 20 year old, and a 17 year old. Now, they are good kids. No drinking (I know, I know- everybody says that about their kids, but in my case it's true- mom having beer/wine/cider/hard stuff around all their lives took the mystique out of it), no lying, etc. But still, they are kids. The only good thing is both of my kids grew up to have very dorky friends so their idea of "wild" is to eat in the living room.

Still, they will push whatever limits you set. I told my kids exactly where the lines where. As in, no drinking - However, I know you have friends who may want to do this, so if that happens, there will be NO DRIVING. Call me. Day or night. I will come pick you up. No consequences, except that you will have to make arrangements for a ride whenever you hang out with these kids.

My kids will tell me the truth about things, so I'm lucky. If your stepkids have to pick up the butts, that will encourage them to tell their friends to pick up their butts. My kids' friends all respect my rules, and show me respect. I think it's because my kids tell them, "my mom will kill me if you guys don't _________". Either way, that's fine. It gives my kids a way out, and doesn't make them seem too uncool. Like I said, it helps that their friends are geeky.

Latest posts

Back