PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their website states that it is still a family owned, local business, and Farley remains the President and CEO.

Rumor likely not true.

Inbev etal, being publicly traded - I doubt that this could be done "quietly". Any acquisition would require disclosure to shareholders and regulators. Most likely a rumor.

Last edited:
So for those of us who don't have the time to read through all 13 pages of this, is the answer yes or no? Did I accidentally just send my money to Big YellowFizzyWater when I bought a carboy on Northern Brewer?

Hoax or not, I'm done ordering from NB. Last 2 orders did not make it by the promised delivery date even with paying for expedited shipping.

So for those of us who don't have the time to read through all 13 pages of this, is the answer yes or no? Did I accidentally just send my money to Big YellowFizzyWater when I bought a carboy on Northern Brewer?

The answer is of course not.

Hoax or not, I'm done ordering from NB. Last 2 orders did not make it by the promised delivery date even with paying for expedited shipping.

FWIW, when I've complained to NB about that, they have (IMO) gone above & beyond to compensate for the delay and truly seemed to care about the customer having a positive experience.

Also RE: the post below about LabelPeelers, absolutely +1. Those guys are solid.

I hope that they reimburse you for the shipping at least.

I have only had good experiences with them. But, I suppose given enough orders, statistically speaking, I'm bound to see some issue.

I asked them to change an order for me. I first ordered one of those fishtank style bubblers from them for oxygenating the wort. Then I decided to get an oxygen wand and so I asked them to change the order. The bubbler was already shipped, so they let me keep it for free.

meh, thats business. Anyways, i prefer to buy from my local HBS. Plus im blessed to have home brew stuff as my local shop

Checks calendar, nope not April 1st. This is silly, AB/InBev/SAM/satan can already get their supplies, any supplies, far cheaper than NB buys at. Does not pass the smell test yet turned into a 123+ post thread. Urban legend at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Most of the posts in this thread are off topic but they do cover a much more useful topic: What's a good way to get online grains? Also TIL some people get flat rate shipping from NB for bulk grains!

Ya' know, if the hoax was started by a northern brewer competitor this is the type of response they would be hoping for.

I hope no one would let this rumor push them over the edge...

Most of the posts in this thread are off topic but they do cover a much more useful topic: What's a good way to get online grains? Also TIL some people get flat rate shipping from NB for bulk grains!

AHS used to have a great bulk program. 50pound sack is high, but builds shipping in. Best bet is to get with your lhbs and get a group buy together. Barring that, start a hbs or pay big shipping. Or just get under the bag poundage with free shipping.

Ya' know, if the hoax was started by a northern brewer competitor this is the type of response they would be hoping for.

I hope no one would let this rumor push them over the edge...

NB pushed me over the edge years ago. Now I'm a staunch advocate to steer people clear of their shady ways. This thread just reinforced my thoughts of them.

I've always been a huge fan of www.ritebrew.com

The guy that runs the place, Neil, is a great guy. Super fast shipping and very reasonable prices.

Their recipe kits are great as well.

Never had a bad experience and I've been ordering almost exclusively from them for years.

I just checked their website and it's $102 shipping for a $45 50lb sack of 2-row to Northern California...

Just checked www.ritebrew.com

CMC 2 row is $38 for a 50 lb sack + $25.83 Fedex ground shipping = $63.83 shipped

I can get it cheaper local but I haven't seen a 50 lb sack shipped cheaper anywhere else.

Plus if your order is over $75 they'll knock $5 off shipping.

Can you tell I'm a fan of their site? :)

CMC 2 row is $38 for a 50 lb sack + $25.83 Fedex ground shipping = $63.83 shipped

I can get it cheaper local but I haven't seen a 50 lb sack shipped cheaper anywhere else.

$38 for grain and $38 for shipping for me. I must live in the black hole of shipping.

Best I've found is to buy 5 of the 10lb bags of 2-row from Morebeer. The 10 lb bags qualify for their free shipping on $59 whereas the 50lb bulk sack does not :mad:

So $52.95 for 50lbs of Breiss 2-row plus another $6-7 in yeast or bottle caps to get to $59 for free shipping...

Last edited:
The real issue we need to be talking about is why we allow corporations to keep buying up their competitors without restriction. In 2016 AB InBev will have close to 50% market share in the United States (it was 46% in 2015).

Remember the good old days when we used to break up monopolies? Yeah... the good old days....

I emailed NB and got this response:
Thanks for your note. I cannot comment on any potential business partnerships, but I can tell you that we are always exploring ways to grow Northern Brewer and the homebrewing supply market. The homebrewing community is as diverse and passionate as ever and we are excited to continue supporting homebrewers excel at their craft and have the best beer experiences.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers!
Craig B

The real issue we need to be talking about is why we allow corporations to keep buying up their competitors without restriction. In 2016 AB InBev will have close to 50% market share in the United States (it was 46% in 2015).

Remember the good old days when we used to break up monopolies? Yeah... the good old days....

Too big to fail! Too big to fail!!

Right? Or is that just banks.

I just checked their website and it's $102 shipping for a $45 50lb sack of 2-row to Northern California...

Hey fact checker...how about being fair with this shipping blast.

Fedex for 50 lb bag by FEDEX is $36...no one orders a 50 lb item by USPS.

So total cost with shipping from labelpeelers is $82.64 (from OHIO to west coast)

Same purchase from NB by ground shipping is $90.87-(corrected) (from MINN/WIS to west coast)

If you want the 50 lb bag shipped USPS from NB it's a whopping $178.20

For me in Central NY it's only $16.61 from Labelpeelers and $32.69 from NB!

Nice try.

Um... Isn't that why the feds didn't allow AB Inbev to keep the U.S. Miller operations?

Well, Constellation bought Ballast Point (HomeBrew Mart), so maybe AB/InBev is just following the trend?

Is no one even bothering to look at Northern Brewer's site? It's pretty clearly that they are family-owned. So unless their family just happens to be AB/InBev, this is totally incorrect.

"Today, our founder Chris Farley remains the president and CEO – homebrewing itself has grown a lot since 1993, but Northern Brewer is still a family-owned local business."https://www.northernbrewer.com/about/history/

My apologies if someone's already linked that, I read 6 of the 16 pages (and rapidly counting) flame-thread before just posting for clarity.

Hey fact checker...how about being fair with this shipping blast.

Fedex for 50 lb bag by FEDEX is $36...no one orders a 50 lb item by USPS.

So total cost with shipping from labelpeelers is $82.64 (from OHIO to west coast)

Same purchase from NB by ground shipping is $80.87 (from MINN/WIS to west coast)

If you want the 50 lb bag shipped USPS from NB it's a whopping $178.20

Ha! I just double checked and the fedex ground came up as $38 (didn't show the first time? weird) which is more reasonable. Although fedex overnight is a steal at $405.

Because the US stopped enforcing the antitrust laws on January 21, 1981. BTW. those laws are still on the books. But a nod and a wink, some sacrificial "concessions" and a well-placed campaign contribution easily renders them moot...

Checks calendar, nope not April 1st. This is silly, AB/InBev/SAM/satan can already get their supplies, any supplies, far cheaper than NB buys at. Does not pass the smell test yet turned into a 123+ post thread. Urban legend at it's finest. :rolleyes:

I guess if it can be 5:00 somewhere, no matter the actual time. Can't it be April 1st somewhere, no matter the actual date? :mug:

Back