Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainlivin

Reaction score
I started a quad last Sunday. It was my first 10 gallon batch. My OG was 1.10 and today 6 days into fermenting I am at 1.012. My planned 10% sneaky smooth quad is 11.75% and boozy. Would it be better to let it run it's course and see if it mellows after aging and carbing, or is there something I can add now in a secondary that would make it a little more malty and balanced? My mash temps must have been to low or I must have added too much sugar. The last time I used the wyeast 3787 it took forever to finish. I don't get it.

You could always make a low ABV Belgian and blend the two. You could also boil 0.5-1.0 gallons of lower ABV DME wort (closest to whatever base malt you used) and blend with that (you'd need to let it re-ferment).

Not ideal, as either way you are going to change some of the flavor profile of your beer, but that'll take care of your alcohol bite.

Bottle it and park it in the basement, it'll make a nice winter warmer for the Holidays next year.

A beer of that high a gravity is going to taste harsh until it conditions, which will take a long time. Strong beers take a lot longer to age properly.

If you haven't packaged it yet I would put in secondary for a couple of months, then keg or bottle it and forget about it until at least next summer. Then try one and wait for cool fall evenings to enjoy it.

I did a winter warmer last Dec hoping for late February. It was very harsh until July and is much better now at the middle of September. I will be enjoying them this fall and winter.

Thanks for the replies. I did a couple more taste tests this weekend. It will be drinkable; however, I believe you all are correct that it will taste awesome after aging.

Latest posts

Back