Please help!! No fermentation W/ Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Reaction score
I finished my first AG brew yesterday (BM's Centennial Blond). I used Nottingham, and come to find out it's a bad lot#:mad: No fermentation in over 36 hours.
I have two options:
1. Pitch a Hefe Yeast that I'm going to bottle tomorrow or Sunday. (Funky Hefe flavor in my blond)
2. Start a 2L starter of WLP007 and pitch most of it tomorrow night and continue to grow enough to pitch in my porter that I plan on brewing on Tue.
My freezer is set at 65 F

I do have a 3rd option RDWHAHB. And see what happens.

I'm heading out to get some water for my starter.
Thanks for your help!

What is the lot number on that Notty? My last few batches of Notty have all been taking off like crazy. The one I used yesterday was 1080961099V. And I think it is the one I have been getting for a while now.

I'm going to echo the "just wait" responses. Unless you're not confident in your sanitation, then there's no risk in waiting a bit. You could always pick up another dry packet of Notty or US-05 to pitch in a few days.

Plan on getting more Notty, and wait.

I hate to rub this in but if you had a couple of quart jars of washed yeast in the fridge you wouldnt have this prob.

wait
wait

Do you have anything else thats needs racked you could put it on a yeast cake.

Certainly wait for 72 hours before re-pitching. Queue the Revvy....

What is the lot number on that Notty? My last few batches of Notty have all been taking off like crazy. The one I used yesterday was 1080961099V. And I think it is the one I have been getting for a while now.

That's the lot # I pitched. Is the one you pitched yesterday going?

I'm going to echo the "just wait" responses. Unless you're not confident in your sanitation, then there's no risk in waiting a bit. You could always pick up another dry packet of Notty or US-05 to pitch in a few days.

I'm very confident in my sanitation. The problem is I have no LHBS around.

Plan on getting more Notty, and wait.

I hate to rub this in but if you had a couple of quart jars of washed yeast in the fridge you wouldnt have this prob.

wait
wait

Do you have anything else thats needs racked you could put it on a yeast cake.

Yeah, yeah,
Thanks I'm learning as I go as I'm still a noob. I do have a Hefe that I'm going to bottle today or tomorrow but I don't want that flavor in the beer I just made.

I have a question.

I plan on brewing a porter with WPL007 next week. Mrmalty says I should be using a 1.4L starter with the batch that I'm having trouble with the Notty. Could I make a 2L starter with it and pitch 1.4L of it and make a new starter with the .6L that's left? That way I could brew both batches with one vile.

That's the lot # I pitched. Is the one you pitched yesterday going?

Yes, it took off over night. Pitched in the afternoon and had a small krausen the next morning when I got up. I did rehydrate, not sure if that made the difference or not.

The last 2 times I've pitched Notty it has taken almost 3 days to take off. I wasn't to happy about it and they both had a wierd smell to them. I was thinking I had a bad lot, I have 1 more packet left but I think it's goin in the garbage.

There's an ongoing discussion about Nottingham on the yeast forum - bottom line, it's not what it once was. I used to use it exclusively but have not taken a chance on it in a year or so. They've run into packaging problems. I've been using Safale since. I'll go back to it eventually because I like the beers it made, but not until I hear it's fixed.

Back