please criticize my fermentation method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-rok

Reaction score
ok, here is my idea for my fermentation time table:
7 days primary
7 days secondary (glass carboy)
7 days in keg at room temp
14 days in keg chilled at 12 psi
now drink!

I am trying to brew a beer every 10 days so that the time in keg at room temp will eventually increase, as will time in keg chilled. Just have to wait until the pipeline increases. PLease pigeon hole this and tell me where I can improve. Ohh, BTW patience is not my forte, but I am trying.

Why are you going to secondary? Not necessary in most cases. As far as primary, I'd go 14 days minimum. If you secondary then do so for another 14. If not then 21 to 28 primary. Otherwise you seem to be okay.

I would honestly only secondary if you need to (adding fruit, aging, etc). I would also skip the sitting in the keg at room temp for a week. I stay in primary for 2 - 4 weeks (3 being the norm) and then I go straight to keg. I would at least kep your beer in the primary for a minimum or two weeks. I also recommend measuring your gravities to make sure you have reached your final gravity. I then chill and pressureize at 10 - 12 psi.

I don't see any problem with that. Many people think that fermentation takes weeks upon weeks. Primary fermentation is usually completed in a couple days after pitching. Now, you aren't going get all of the complex flavors of a stout or big Belgian in that amount of time, but for most <1.060 ales this schedule will work.

Back