PLC - Touchscreen Control Panel (TEB Based)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best option is one that gets done so that it actually produces beer. (Sorry, couldn't resist given that it's been 6 years). ;)

What technology you use at the end of the day is somewhat irrelevant. They can all be made to produce identical beer. It's up to you to choose whatever works best for your needs and everyone will have different ones. Mine were:
  • 100% electric for indoor brewing
  • Safe, easy, and enjoyable to use
  • Not limit the brewer in any way
  • Provide extremely repeatable and consistent results
  • Use industrial quality parts that last (stainless steel, limit the use of plastics)
  • Use standard off-the-shelf parts to ensure long term serviceability (limit the use of special/proprietary parts)
It's the last 2 bullets that mostly led me to build something around non-proprietary, common sized, hot swappable parts (PID based) so that I'd have a setup that would be workable and serviceable for my entire life without me having to futz with it or reprogram it if something needed to be replaced years dow the road. I've worked a lot with PLCs too but given that they're more proprietary I decided to not go that route, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Kal

Heh. I deserve it. Honored that you replied! TEB was the inspiration for my foray into Electric Brewing.

I feel like I have come full circle, because now I want to go back to the TEB approach. Even though I have a MicroLogix 1500 full programmed and ready to go...

Time to make a decision and get her done.

Well, first back into the groove of brewing. Got a batch on the IGLOO and pot system to get going this weekend!

Cool! As long as it makes great beer and is something you can support it / use it long term / is easy to use, it's all good! Good luck with your build! Any questions, feel free to reach out. Cheers!

Ka

Looks like I am going a different route with this. I am keeping the main panel intact but I am scrapping the PLC controls for now.

Too easy to find parts for PI\Arduino Control. Brucontrol is looking pretty nice.

I will start a new thread and update here with a link.

I was going to go PLC as well, but BC has been so much better in every way.

The things you have done with it convinced me. I have been watching tons of your videos and threads. The recipe import is what sold me, though I havent figured it out. From what I understand it is going to be native in future releases?

The things you have done with it convinced me. I have been watching tons of your videos and threads. The recipe import is what sold me, though I havent figured it out. From what I understand it is going to be native in future releases?
Going with BC is the way to go if just starting, saves you some money.

I did my PLC project 20 years ago and started with an IDEC which was quick replaced with Automation Direct controllers. Now I am running a few PLCs which communicate with each other through power line Ethernet adapters plus all the info goes to the control room.

Back