Plastic coopers bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonhomebrew

Reaction score
Can i use plastic coppers bottles to bottle wild ales/lambics i just thought seeing as they arnt clamped shut lids i cant use them any advice? Bit of a newb when it comes to lambics

I'm sure they could be used... but I dont think I would want to age an acidic beer like that (or any beer for that matter) in a plastic bottle.

Beers are generally acidic by nature,& the cooper's PET bottles also are coated on the inside to help stop oxygenation & such. But the lids have to be screwed down really tight.

The pH of sours are generally much lower than your average beer though, and sours can require extensive bottle conditioning. I'm just saying that I PERSONALLY would not use plastic bottles for that type of beer, nor would I want to extensively age a beer in plastic. Normal beers with normal bottle carb times, sure.

I wouldn't use it for long term. Plastic bottles are permeable. If you ever try a 1+ year old plastic bottle of coke you'll find out it's flat. For a beer that'll also mean oxidized and acetic.

Latest posts

Back