Plastic carboys.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Havens

Reaction score
I noticed at work they are about to throw out about 4 or 5 of the plastic water bottles for the water cooler. They are 5 gallons just like my glass carboys. Any thoughts on using these as fermenters? Can they be properly sanatized for this?

This goes back to the glass vs plastice debate. To sum up, plastic is safer (no breakage) but it can scratch easily, giving nasties a place to hide and making sanitation tougher. Also, it is not as impermeable to oxygen, so if you're in secondary for an extended period (think months) they're probably not a good idea.

My worry would be the aperture size... does it take a standard bung/airlock assembly?

The company I work for has some of the bottles as well. At one point I thought about snagging a couple. The opening looks to be the same size as a glass carboy, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

I have used one of the 5Gal. water jugs that i took from work, The hole on the top is bigger then the glass carboy and I almost ran out of room in the water jug.

Back