Planning first all grain, BIAB. Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt81

Reaction score
Hello. I have got all the equipment I need for my first BIAB. It is cool autumn here and nice time to try to make a lager. I have made 4 batches of ales using extracts so far.

Our tastes are different but I'd like to get feedback for my starting recipe, is it ok for starting . Then depending of the results I can adjust this recipe in the future. I want to make traditional light lager, with a little bit tart aftertaste.

All grain, BIAB
50 L (13 gal) pot, 6.5 kW gas burner
Batch size into fermenter 23 L (6,07 gal)

Pilsner Malt, 2 row, 4,5 kg (9,9 lb)
Vienna Malt, 0,75 kg (1,65 lb)
Cara-Pils, Dextrine 0,30 kg (0,66 lb)

1 step mash@68C (154F). Using 25 L (6,6 gal) water was this.
Then mash out, 76 C (169F), grain draining. Planned pre-boil volume 28 L (7,4 gal)

Boiling 60 min
Perle hops 35 g (1,2 oz), 7,5%, 60 min boil
Hersbrucker hops 30 g (1 oz), 3%, 10 min boil

If there is too less water after boil then I just add tap water to hit the 23 L (6,07) target.

After cooling I plan to use Fermentis SafLager 1 pkg.

Beersmith says: OG 1,048, IBU 30,7 , Color 7,3.

How does it look? :)

Recipe looks fine. With all that Pilsner malt, you'll want to do a 90 minute boil. That light grain bill will most likely need some acidification.

@Dangeruss
To be accurate, the water I planned to use it is not in central system, just our houses well with no extra treatment with chemistry. I have used this for my ales. But for lager maybe really bottle water is better...
Thanks!

@LLBeanJ
OK, I will consider that. Acidification sounds like what I'd want from lager. I'll try to find some articles about this...

Recipe looks fine. With all that Pilsner malt, you'll want to do a 90 minute boil. That light grain bill will most likely need some acidification.

I wouldn't say the 90 minute boil is an absolute. Another Brulosophy link, headed your way!

Basically, it was confirmed with gas chromatography that DMS did not exist in a predominately pilsner based beer after a 30 minute boil. Of course, the 90 minute boil won't hurt, but if you want to save some time in your brew day.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/08/update-lab-data-on-pils-malt-boil-length-exbeeriment/#more-5505

What's your fermentation profile? 50F is a reasonable target to keep the beer at through out the majority of the fermentation.

I'd use two packs of dry yeast for a lager if using dry.

Carapils are not something I see a point to but to each their own.

Witha a single infusion mash I'd mash cooler (150f) for a crisper finish, but again personal tastes dictate this.

What kind of lager is planned?

What's your fermentation profile? 50F is a reasonable target to keep the beer at through out the majority of the fermentation.

I'd use two packs of dry yeast for a lager if using dry.

Carapils are not something I see a point to but to each their own.

Witha a single infusion mash I'd mash cooler (150f) for a crisper finish, but again personal tastes dictate this.

What kind of lager is planned?

Room temp is between 54 to 59F, probably decreasing a little bit as the weather gets colder. I cant control the temperature.
But maybe really 150 F would be better then for mashing....just lets experiment :)
Thanks everybody for the tips!

Best of luck with the brew.

That's very warm for a lager fermentation.

Very suitable for a very lager-like hybrid like an Altbier or a Kolsch. Just a thought.

Thanks everybody. I made some corrections in recipe and now it is fermenting:) Everything went smoothly, except that the mash temp was not stable, it was between 149-158 F. I wonder what the FG will be in this case, maybe close to 1.014...
OG was 1.046.

Before this lager batch I made an ale style beer with BIAB method and it turned out great:mug:

I have a question about diacetyl rest - since I rehydrated the yeast in warm water as instructions say and pitched into warm wort (67F), then there is a possibility that some diacetyl will be produced during fermentation. Right after pitching I removed the fermenter into cellar, where temperature is 53.6F (good for Saflager w34/70). So I have read that right before primary fermentation is almost done I have to remove fermenter into warm room.

But what if I miss the right time to remove the fermenter, doesn't the diacetyl rest happen in bottles anyway? I plan to bottle right after fermentation is done and I will leave bottles @ room temperature for a two weeks or so before moving them into cellar again. In bottles the yeast can still do the work with diacetyl? I dont plan to do any secondary fermentation in other carboy.

Back