Planning a weird kind of IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
Based on what's worked for me in the past, and on sampling some of the dozens of varieties available at my local brewpub, this is what I'm planning on for my next batch:

Briess LME - Gold, 6 lbs.
Briess LME - Amber, 3.3 lbs.
Pale Malt (6-row American), 8 oz.
Rye Malt, 8 oz.
Est OG: 1.070, Est. SRM: 8

Nugget Pellets, 1.0 oz., 60 min.
Amarillo Gold Pellets, 0.5 oz., 15 min.
Amarillo Gold Pellets, 0.5 oz., 0 min.
Est IBUs: 64

Ginger Root, 0.5 oz., 15 min.
Irish Moss, 1 tsp., 15 min.
Rose Hips, 1.0 oz., 5 min.

WYeast 1056

---------------------------------------------

(I know that I could probably make better choices on the flavor & aroma hops, but I'm basing this on what I have on hand.)

Looks... interesting...

What is the 6 row for?

I may be wrong, but I figure the 6-row has some good protease enzymes (as well as plenty of amylase). I plan on doing a protein rest on my grains because of the rye malt. I want to try to avoid getting chill haze. I've only used rye in dark beers before, so I'm not sure how much of a problem the protein content from the rye is going to give me in a lighter colored ale.

I've used a combination of flaked rye and ginger in a dry stout before, and really liked the results.

The protein in 8oz of rye malt is unlikely to cause noticeable chill haze. But, the base malt and the rye malt need to be mashed, so you will want to hold them around 152°F for conversion (like 30 minutes).

Could be good. I, for one, do not like Ginger. But then again, I have a pear IPA carb'ing now. 3# or Bosc pears in the secondary.

Smells like heaven should...

The protein in 8oz of rye malt is unlikely to cause noticeable chill haze. But, the base malt and the rye malt need to be mashed, so you will want to hold them around 152°F for conversion (like 30 minutes).

Thanks. I was planning on doing 30min at 122F, followed by 30min. or more at around 150F, just to be on the safe side.

Could be good. I, for one, do not like Ginger. But then again, I have a pear IPA carb'ing now. 3# or Bosc pears in the secondary.

Smells like heaven should...

To each his own. I figure that a half ounce of fresh ginger root should be pretty subtle in something this aggressively hopped.

Back