Pitching yeast on foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistFM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had my first AG brewday yesterday and when I moved my chilled wort to the primary bucket there was a lot of foam on top. I went ahead and pitched my yeast on top of that thinking the foam will settle, but I wake up this AM and my fermenter is quiet as a graveyard. I know to wait longer and stuff, but does anyone have an idea as to what the foam was and if I should have just pitched on top of it? Now my day is going to take forever while I sit at work worrying about my beer.

I always pitch on the foam. If you aerate well there should be a lot of foam on top.

If you pitched dry yeast it will fall in and start working soon.

I aerate with a wisk... I then put my yeast in Dry or Liquid and mix it in... but I would think that eventually the bubbles will break and the yeast will come in contact with the wort...

Ok, sweet. You guys make me feel a lot better. Hopefully the bubbles break soon and I see/hear those lovely bubbles...

I've always used dry yeasts and just sprinkle on top of a highly aerated wort. Always worked for me. Sometimes just takes a bit longer.

I've seen instructions that say DO NOT STIR it in, but I've watched other brewers aggressively stir it in and do just fine.

Youll be fine with the foam :)

Back