pitching yeast a day late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgnewton

Reaction score
Straight to the point, I am pitching my S-33 dry yeast about 24 hours late. Should I aerate just before pitching like normal or would I be better off just adding the yeast?

I have had to pitch a day late with dry yeast a day late when liquid has failed. That's without aerating. So I'm sure you're fine not aerating. I'd imagine it wouldn't hurt though. Likewise if your wort is chilled already it ought to still have plenty of o2 in it.

Hmm I think I would rather aerate as long as that would not bring on any extra issues. Did your beer seem progress like normal after pitching the dry yeast?

ok thanks m1k3, I am just gonna follow same process only a day later. I was just real nervous because all my other beers I have pitched with in an hour or so post boil.

I always pitch the next day to save time on my brew day chilling time.Always aerate..Still not convinced aerating even makes a difference.Ive not aerated by mistake and made great beer.
FWIW I chill to around 110 deg then rack and pitch at desired temp the next day.Usually around 65 to 68 which just so happens to be room temps on the floor most of the year.Works out well

Interesting, I would never think to purposely pitch the next day but if this batch goes smoothly I may just have to try it from now on.

ok thanks m1k3, I am just gonna follow same process only a day later. I was just real nervous because all my other beers I have pitched with in an hour or so post boil.

Don't sweat it. Rehydrate your yeast, aerate your wort, and pitch. I've done no-chill brews a number of times where I leave the wort to chill overnight (in Maine winters, this is my go-to method for chilling) and I follow the same routine as when I use my immersion chiller. No need to be nervous, lots of people do this frequently. As long as your wort was covered to protect it from the elements, you should be just fine.

Interesting, I would never think to purposely pitch the next day but if this batch goes smoothly I may just have to try it from now on.
It used to be you needed to chill lightning fast or you were almost guaranteed an infection.That has since been debunked.Look up "no chill" I chill to 110 to stop hop utilization.After that theres no real need to chill fast.Utilization stops at around 160 deg I believe

With dry yeast there is no need to aerate, this is per manufacturers' instructions. I have forgotten exactly where I read it, but it stated that the yeast is aerated before being dried out, so don't worry

With dry yeast there is no need to aerate, this is per manufacturers' instructions. I have forgotten exactly where I read it, but it stated that the yeast is aerated before being dried out, so don't worry

You read it here, on the Danstar Yeast's FAQ, but you're misremembering the quote a little bit.

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

That said, I would always recommend aerating anyway. It can't hurt, and anecdotally, the one time I deliberately did NOT aerate my wort, it was one of the worst batches I've ever made, and ended up as one of only two batches I've ever dumped. The yeast had clearly been stressed.

I ended up aerating a little bit before pitching and I got airlock activity in 6 hours. It seems like everything went fine and tastes great so far

Back