Pitching Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bk2X

Reaction score
I have been trying brewing for a few years off and on now and have never been pleased with the final result. So far all brews have been extract based on very simple recipes from this site so I can play with variables.

I always have the same harsh taste and a while ago I took a bottle to my LHBS and his opinion was that the yeast worked too hard. I then bought an old fridge and digital temp controller to get the ambient fermenting temp down in the mid to low 60s. Still had same taste.

The next variable I want to get spot on is my pitching temp of the wort. I normally use my immersion chiller to get temps down in the 70s and call it good. Would it be wise/safe to cool with IC down to 80s then move to fridge for however long it takes to get down to 65 throughout to pitch? Should I skip the IC stage, transfer to conical and just put in fridge over night after boiling?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Persistent harsh or bitter tastes that seem to be unrelated to recipe or process are often due to the brewing water used. What water do you use and have you ever had it tested?

are you sure you are pitching the proper amount of yeast, that is very important for happy yeast during your fermentation.

Typically use Ozarka drinking water, then moved to distilled water as I read a lot on here about how extracts already have minerals necessary. I have also used tap water and this most recent batch is Spring water but still fermenting so the jury still out on this one.

According to the mrmalty calculator a 11g dry pack has always been enough for my 5 gal brews.

Controlling fermentation temp is great. low 60's might be a bit low though as most ale yeast ferment up around 68F. It's always a good idea to chill down to the temp you are going to be fermenting at, but pitching at 70F and fermenting mid 60's wouldn't give you a harsh taste I don't think.
What kind of recipe are you brewing and what yeast are you using?

I've been getting a very harsh taste from my pale beers that I believe to be caused by using highly alkaline water, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue with extract...

Post your recipe and lets have a look.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Danstar Munich
Yeast Starter: Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68f

5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended).

The LHBS guy said starter wasn't necessary so I pitched it dry. For what it's worth the next day had good action through blow off tube. Fridge is set at 62F assuming fluid temp will be a little warmer than ambient.

Typically use Ozarka drinking water, then moved to distilled water as I read a lot on here about how extracts already have minerals necessary. I have also used tap water and this most recent batch is Spring water but still fermenting so the jury still out on this one.

According to the mrmalty calculator a 11g dry pack has always been enough for my 5 gal brews.

Ozarka Drinking Water seems to be good brewing water. Low alkalinity and minerals, just a little bit of chloride which is good.

All the way to the bottom:
http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/o_eng.pdf

Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me.
What kind of harshness would you say you are getting?

Are you bottle conditioning? When kegging, if the beer hasn't had time to settle out you can get a harsh bite from there still being a lot of stirred up yeast.

I am kegging. My conical has a side spout to run fluid hose to bottom of keg and fill. I would imagine some floaties could come off the trub just based on the fluid movement but surely the taste wouldn't last long. I've had some set for 5 months to see if it faded with time and no luck.

I am sorry but I am terrible at describing taste and since I am kind of jumping the gun here with my post, it has been too long since my last brew to describe the taste.

The next variable I want to get spot on is my pitching temp of the wort. I normally use my immersion chiller to get temps down in the 70s and call it good. Would it be wise/safe to cool with IC down to 80s then move to fridge for however long it takes to get down to 65 throughout to pitch? Should I skip the IC stage, transfer to conical and just put in fridge over night after boiling?

Appreciate your thoughts.

"Down in the 70s" can mean 71 or 79. 71 isn't really a problem... 79 very well could be.

My recommendation based on processes I'm familiar with would be to chill to whatever is comfortable, put it in the fermentation chamber, and wait to pitch until you're down into the 60s. I generally try to pitch a few degrees BELOW target fermentation temperature, but that's just me.

I've heard of people doing the "no chill" method, but I have no experience with that method and cannot really offer any meaningful comment.

Back