Pitching rate for high gravity with simple sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culbetron

Reaction score
This weekend I'm making 5 gallons of Jamil's Tripel:

14lbs pilsner
0.5lbs aromatic
2.5 lbs simple sugar
wyeast 3787 high grav trappist

I'll be adding the simple sugar in the second half of the fermentation.

When I'm calculating my starter size, can I just calculate the starter for the pre-sugar wort I'll be pitching into, or do I need to calculate for the entire batch? I assume the yeast will grow enough during the first half of the fermentation to handle the second half but I'm not 100% sure. Pre-sugar gravity should be about 1.060, if I added the sugar to that before fermenting it would be 1.080. It's the difference between a 4 liter and 8 liter starter.

I would calculate for the entire batch. If you step your starter, you can keep the volume down to a manageable level.

this would work

I had an imperial pumpkin ale that was 1.080 going into fermenter, but with sugar additions up to 1.125

got a vial of WLP007 up to a 2 liter starter & before I pitched I saved a bit. then worked that up to another 2 liter starter for the repitch

worked awesome. right before the last sugar addition, it measured 1.018. 83% attenuation.

Back