Pitching on a yeast cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I ferment my ales in the primary for three weeks. Would it be ok to pitch on the yeast cake after this long or is the yeast too old?

Thanks, Mike

I predict a flurry of yes and no's. I have a case of delicious beer that was pitched on to a yeast cake after 2 weeks in the primary.

If you can carbonate a beer after 3 weeks I assume the yeast is still active. So, I believe it will work.

The argument against will be science mumbo jumbo about over pitching yeast and best practices.

My advice would be to go for it.

It's almost always going to be a huge overpitching, and unless you were going from something like a mild to a double IPA, I wouldn't do it. I've done it in the past (like 8 years ago), but now just use sanitized jars and pour the yeast cake into three or four jars and use it for multiple 10 gallon batches.

Something to think about: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

it's just as easy to scoop out the desired quantity and pitch into fresh wort. the science behind over pitching yeast is not mumbo jumbo and i would guess most brewers, commercial and otherwise want to pitch as close to the optimum pitch as possible.

Back