pitching on a yeast cake ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I just did a barleywine and pitched it onto a yeast cake from a centenniel blond ( S-05 yeast) I was under the impression that I would get activity immediately. How long till I should see something? BTW I aeriated it like crazy.

I'm not sure how long you would need to wait to see activity. 8 hours-ish? How long was the beer in the primary from which the yeast cake came from?

This write up that Bob did may have some useful info for you as well. It's a heady read to be sure, but worthwhile.

chugging along already..... I missed my OG by quite a bit though on the barley wine. I got 1.088 Should have been a bit higher...... HOWEVER I had some extra hops laying around SOOOO I sparged the grains with 6.5 gallons of water AFTER getting the wort for the barleywine. I boiled it down to 5 gallons and got 1.028 OG ( I know LOWWWWWW) but again it was basically free. I put in .5 oz nugget at 60 mins and then mixed some cascade and centenniel together and just tossed a few in every few minutes until it was done. I basically have a pack of s-05 invested in it.

Back