Pitching liquid yeast w/o starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Who does this? I know that most recommend a starter, but White Labs and Wyeast Activator both say that they are directly pitchable.

I'd just like to have one less thing to do per batch, but would also like to try some of the liquid yeasts out there.

Mike

No problem pitching a liquid yeast as long as it is dated recently and you have enough quantity of it for your batch size and you aerate properly. A starter is much cheaper for volumes over 5 gallons though.

I will only pitch Wyeast without a starter if the SG is lighter then 1.045. Anything over that and I seem to get alot longer of a lag time.

Technically you could pitch with less then recommended but it would be less benificial. there is a TON of free info on the wyeast website in regards to yeast and brewing. Also they have recommended pitch rates.

The last hefeweizen I made was 5 gal around ~1.040, I pitched a vial of "pitchable" liquid yeast with no starter, lag time was around 72hrs. The beer came out great, but really who wants to go through that initial stress? Starters are very easy, and well worth the short amount of time when you see the beer take off after 4 hours.

Back