pitching dry yeast straight from refregeraitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm76

Reaction score
I bought a pk of danstar nottingham that I am going to pitch in my wort when I am making my muntons gold continental Pilsner ( or ale:) ) So I was wondering was can I take the dry yeast straight from the refrigerator and pour it right in the wort, or should i store the yeast in room temperature a little while before i pitch it in the wort?

Take it out of the fridge when you begin your brewday, then it should be close to the correct temperature when you pitch it. You want the yeast and the wort to be as near to the same temperature as possible when you pitch it, so that you don't shock the yeast.

I second that. And, to get the most out of your dry yeast rehydrate it in some cooled sterile tap-water for 30 minutes to an hour before pitching.

Reason? Pitching dry yeast directly onto the wort destroys about half of them. Haha the good thing is there are so many billions in a packet that you'll still get a good ferment.

Back