Pitching 2nd yeast for Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendo23

Reaction score
I started my ISP kit from Brewer's Best on January 27th. I was able to obtain OG of 1.080. The had an OG range of 1.076-1.080.
I checked my gravity on Feb. 15 and Feb. 26 both gravity readings were at 1.031 and hasn't changed. I've been reading that people pitch a 2nd yeast package because it's on the higher end of FG. Is it to late to pitch another yeast package? If I can which kind? I moved the beer to my secondary on Feb. 26th.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just used the one package of dry yeast that came with the kit. This is my third brew, so I am still pretty new to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At what temperature did you ferment? Sometimes warming it up a few degrees after the majority of fermentation has occurred can help the yeast finish up. If you can't do that or it doesn't work then it is not unheard of to pitch another pack of yeast to finish the job- typically I think this is done before the one month mark but I haven't ever done it.

Knowing what I know now- I wouldn't pitch one pack of dry yeast into 5 gallons of 1080 wort but it worked for me a couple times when I was a beginner. That being said....

I don't know why Brewer's Best doesn't just put two packs in their high gravity kits to make sure beginner brewers don't underpitch. It would likely result in a higher rate of satisfaction from first time brewers because a healthy dose of yeast was used. First time I got a disgusting butterscotch stout was when I began making starters or pitching two packs.[/rant]

Back