pitching 1056 on top of s-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nthammer

Reaction score
So i did the recipe here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/gumballhead-inspired-wpa-92976/ and everything went absolutely perfect, however when i created my ingredient list i wrote down s-04 yeast instead of s-05 so thats what i pitched last night. doing some reading i realized my mistake and it seems i really dont want s-04 because of the esters its going to create, the fermenter was in a very cool spot (58-60F) overnight so it hasnt even started fermenting yet. I have some 1056 yeast slurry on hand, what do yall think of pitching that into the fermentor?? really upset about this mistake because my last beer turned out bad due to too many yeast esters and im hoping this one wont suffer the same fate

I used 04 on an IPA I did one time because I didn't have anything else in the fridge, but thought I had 05. I kept the temps in the mid to low 60s and really, without having a side to side option, I really couldn't tell you that I notice a difference. Even when tasting the gravity sample, I didn't notice a lot of estery notes that you might expect. I'm sure it wasn't as clean as 05 would have been, but keeping it low, it was still pretty good.

Back