Pitched Yeast too Hot! next step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckollias

Reaction score
Been brewing for 10 years and never made this mistake before.
I have a blichmann therminator which usually knocks my temperature down to 70 degrees in minutes.

I must have had the pump running too fast - so the wort didn't cool down enough -and I didn't notice - so I aerated and pitched. When I moved the fermentor I felt the warmth - When I measured the temp it was 103.

I put it in an ice bath - took about 6 hours to knock the temperature down to the 70's.

I was worried I killed all the yeast - so I bought more yeast - made another starter - which is sitting on a stir plate now. And of course the airlock started bubbling a few hours later.

I know pitching at higher temperature will lead to off flavors - so do I toss my new batch of yeast on top (at the right temp now) or just let it go? Would the new yeast compete with the old hot yeast to give me a better chance to save this beer?

Not sure what to do here. Any help would be appreciated.

Recall, dry yeast used to be re-hydrated at 100-104F for 20 minutes.

Since your airlock is responding, you failed to kill it. ;)

It probably got off very fast due to the higher temps. Yup, some off flavors may develop if it continued on that schedule, but the first 4-8 hours are mostly lag time, reproduction, with not much fermenting going on yet. I think you caught it in time.

If you pitched enough cells, it's probably going to ferment just fine. Good aeration or oxygenation really helps building a healthy yeast population.

Whether to pitch the new starter is up to you. I probably wouldn't if it ferments well right now. Save the starter for a next beer.

I concur with IslandLizard. See how it progresses from here on out. As long as you're track with your FG, you're golden.

If you wanna pitch at 103 you should use Voss or Hothead! That being said, see what happens.

Back