Pitched Yeast too cold,.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sww35

Reaction score
I am concerned that I pitched my yeast too low. Was a dry ale yeast and I got side tracked and wort was cooled way too much. Got panicked and pitched the hydrating yeast into wort. Temp was at 49 right after pitching. I am unsure of a gentle way to bring the wort up to awaken the yeast, anyone have any advice? I don't want to open fermenter if I don't have to but, not sure what to do?

Just give it a gentle swirl my man, no need to panic. If it's a carboy, grab by the kneck and slowly rotate on its edge. If it's a bucket, pull your handle up and rotate slowly.

Yea, 64 should be good, hold that, give it a nudge and wait 24 hours

If its back up to temp (low to mid 60's), I'd give it a good rocking/shaking to give the yeast a boost of oxygen. I bet it takes right off. This assumes its been less than 24 hours since you pitched. If its been longer, open it up and swirl it around with a sanitized spoon and reseal.

Well, if it was Cooper's or Munton's ale yeast, they get sluggish at 64F on down. Others, like US-05, will ferment at 58F or so, but better at 60F. What yeast did you use?

I am concerned that I pitched my yeast too low. Was a dry ale yeast and I got side tracked and wort was cooled way too much. Got panicked and pitched the hydrating yeast into wort. Temp was at 49 right after pitching. I am unsure of a gentle way to bring the wort up to awaken the yeast, anyone have any advice? I don't want to open fermenter if I don't have to but, not sure what to do?

That happened to a pale ale I just did. I let it warm up a bit about 64, wrapped it in flannel sheets and shook it up. It took off shortly after.I was using Nottingham yeast.

Sorry, forgot to mention the type of yeast;......... Safale US-05 dry yeast

Also woke this morning to airlock activity, not heavy airlock activity but enough to rest my mind. Also temp was up to 69, so things are looking good.

now you need to keep it under control if you have not started to do so. Water bath in a party tub may be the ticket, just do not submerge the stick on temp strip if that is what you are using.

Back