Pitched yeast BEFORE adding add'l water to extract wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndySlusher

Reaction score
I just finished brewing an IPA recipe from Brewer's Best. All went as planned except toward the end it called for adding water to the wort (this is an extract recipe) until you reach your desired OG and THEN pitch your yeast. Instead, I pitched the yeast and then added water to achieve the necessary OG. Will it make any difference? Thanks in advance for any replies.

It shouldn't. Diluted wort is diluted wort regardless of the amount. However you did cool it off before pitching right? Sometimes those water additions are dial purpose and serve to both cool and water down the wort. As long as the wort was under 80 degrees or so the yeast should still be able to do their job.

It shouldn't. Diluted wort is diluted wort regardless of the amount. However you did cool it off before pitching right? Sometimes those water additions are dial purpose and serve to both cool and water down the wort. As long as the wort was under 80 degrees or so the yeast should still be able to do their job.

Yes, I cooled the wort to just over 70 degrees. I was mainly wondering if adding the yeast before taking the OG reading would affect it's accuracy. Thanks for the reply browncoat.

Back