Pitched two strains, good idea to wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
So I made an IPA with a starter and an extra vial of Conan (Vermont Ale) yeast, I was a little skeptical about the vials because they had been exposed to excess heat during shipping. The yeast didn't take off after 72 hours so I pitched to packages of Thames Valley 1275 and fermentation and had visible fermentation in 6 hours.

Assuming that I have some healthy Conan yeast, if I wash and reuse this yeast will it become a frankenyeast and I will get a combination of flavors or will they always be having a battle and one will always win out in terms of flavor/attenuation?

Its a mix of the two yeast, so either roll with it and use it again or dump it and move on. There is no predicting what you have (or will have) there.

I think they'll definitely be battling, but maybe only until they meet some kind of equilibrium. Regardless, it could be a fun yeast blend to keep around and see how it changes. Kind of like having an innoculated barrel where the sour bugs start dominating over the other. Do the same batch a few times and see if the yeast has balanced itself out.

Thanks for the replies. I washed it and got a ton of yeast (I guess that was to be expected when I pitched two white labs and two wyeast.

Maybe this will be my secret weapon to give my beer it's own house flavor haha.

Back