Pitched at 100F...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So several of you don't think it's skunked. I don't feel like shipping skunky beer, but I guess you'll just have to trust the guy who has smelled and tasted it.

It actually tastes fine..but my wife is my double blind taster--she's fantastic she knows nothing of beer, and has given me "buttered popcorn" (DMS) and "nail polish remover" (to warm in fermentation) without prompting. I never once told her what happened, and before her first sip she said "it reminds me of skunky high school beer that sat in the sun all day".

I appreciate the feedback from everyone and will indeed just leave it in the keg to see if it abates in time. I'm not going to waste more hops dryhopping it though unless I find it's no longer detectable.

I said I needed to slow the rate of flow through my plate chiller because if you let it flow too fast the contact with the heat exchangers (the plates) is insufficient (in duration) to properly cool your wort.

You're right, if you want to chill it in one pass.

But if you are recirculating it back to the boil kettle, running it full speed is best. This should chill it faster. This is probably better for reducing DMS also.

You're right, if you want to chill it in one pass.

But if you are recirculating it back to the boil kettle, running it full speed is best. This should chill it faster. This is probably better for reducing DMS also.

Awesome. Thanks. I didn't know if recirculating was adviseable or not, but it's nice to know its MORE adviseable then slowing the rate.

FWIW, I did a Pliny AG clone yesterday, and thank God I didn't try and run it through the plate chiller...I'd have never gotten it clean. There was so much trub in the bottom of the brew kettle that it clogged my hop screen, my strainer, my bigger strainer (with courser openings) and even the entire opening of my ball valve.

I basically was reduced to taking the wort, 2 cups at a time, pouring it through two different strainers, cleaning out the 1st of the two strainers of the trub, and repeating. Ironically, I used a coil chiller and chilled it very quickly only to experience a solid hour of trying to seperate it from the trub and get a somewhat clean(er) wort into the fermentor. There will be no yeast harvesting/washing from this batch..but I already scooped some off the top so I'm good. :)

Back