Pitch Rate for American Wheat Using Kolsch Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I would like to use a Kolsch yeast for an American Wheat. Normally, when I use the Kolsch yeast to make...well, a Kolsch...my yeast pitch rate is based upon a hybrid style...more than an ale, less than a lager. If I'm using a Kolsch to make an American Wheat, is my cell count based upon a hybrid or ale? I plan on fermenting at a low temp (63 F). Thoughts?

If you are treating like a Kolsch then I would pitch it like a Kolsch. While I'm no expert on this I think you should probably use a yeast amount that is suitable for your brew temp and OG, basically I'd do more than you would for your American Wheat but not as much as a lager since you aren't quite going to that level of cold, which I would guess is what you do with your Kolsch. My understanding is that pitching rate shouldn't really depend on style but rather how easy or hard the environment is for the yeast and high gravity and cold temps are harsh conditions which is why you use more yeast in both of those circumstances, while your temp is on the cold end it isn't quite lager cold so you shouldn't need to go as far as a lager pitching rate.

Once you know your pitch rate you can adjust the amount and intentionally under or over pitch to tweak the flavor profile to fit a style but my understanding is you still start from the same point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Back