Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone. New to this forum but this thread was the first to catch my eye. I have quite the cellar with lots of aged tobacco. I also have some bought pipes (Savinelli 320) and a few hand made pipes.

Cheers!

It's just something you have experience. Smoking a pipe to me is relaxing. Finding the right tobacco is a journey. Once you get the right tobacco, and sit on the porch with a Homebrew, it's the little things in life. Yeah, cheers 2019. Hope it's a good one.

Pipe smoking is great but it is also something that you should still do in moderation. I love sitting on the deck and having a bowl of fine tobacco. I own two pipes one is of standard length and the other is a churchwarden. I am 30 and I think it's too bad that tobacco is now frowned upon in society. I often find myself thinking I was born in the wrong time period.

Lit up a pipe tonight for the first time in a few years. Wife got me a tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe for our anniversary after I mentioned that I poked through the Hong Kong duty free only to be disappointed that they didn't have any pipe tobacco. The Early Morning is a terrific blend. It was relaxing in a way that a cigar rarely is for me. After a pint of porter, a pipe, and a good book, I felt almost like I'd gone for a massage. It was a bit too heady for me by the end, though. I don't inhale, but I had to slow down on the last quarter of the bowl as it started to make me feel a bit woozy. I guess that's what happens when you don't smoke but once a month or so (and then usually just a small cigar or two).

I should add that I always smoked bulk aromatics before and had issues with heat, liquid in the stem, and keeping lit before. The Early Morning suffered none of those problems. Seems I was missing out back when I used to smoke my pipes more often...

I recently enjoyed a nice mild dry pipe of trout stream while, well, fly fishing for trout! (a lake and just stocked 'bows, but still). It had been a couple of years, I have not indulged since my mother's recent diagnosis of lung cancer, it seemed crass (she a lifelong cigarette smoker and in full remission after a single dose of radiation two years later) and with my two small children, though I don't hide anything, I don't want to imprint any habit that I'd rather not have them indulge in until they are able to make that decision as an adult as I did. I've only really ever indulged in tobacco on an occasional basis, mostly for the taste and buzz, tools and ritual. I started off with flavored, tried out English, and have since fallen back to what I would consider a curated bunch of respectful aromatics and English blends, like the aforementioned trout stream, a Vermont "meat candy", and Larry's blend. In regards to pipes, I'm in the Missouri Meercham camp. I love the pricing, portability and not caring if it drops and breaks or falls into a river (this has happened, several times, one of them still smoked fine after, the other wasn't recovered). They also smoke nice and cool and dry for me.

OK, pipe smokers, what is your fav undressed, untopped tobacco? Your fav burley blend? For those of you who grow & cure your own tobacco, what varieties & what process(s)? I'm looking for a variety that air cures well, has a good flavor undressed/topped & will grow in zone 4; any suggestions?
Regards, GF.

if you PM me i can mail you a bunch of kentucky burley seeds.....i think i got some from last year, and the year before....I don't know about air curing, i just wrap the plants in a tarp and let them breathe every other day...been growing these for 15 years, and get plenty of seeds off them every year...only had to buy seeds really once....

(i've also cured tobacco by just bundling the leaves, and hanging in the garage for a few months during humid winter months....

Oh my goodness! Was the last post really four years ago?

I guess it was... Quite a lot has changed in all of our lives and Corona hit recently.
wow!
I’m jobless since and claiming “retired Navyman” for now. I’d put retired “NavyChief”, but I’m not feeling all that chiefly these day.

Life moved on though and so do we and our children. My kids are all grown up and on their own. Have been for quite a few years now.

This was suppose to be a pipe smoking reply. It kind of is because I’m smoking a pipe, enjoying some good tobacco and being contemplative

I’m sitting at my daughter’s house smoking a churchwarden style pipe. It’s only about 7 inches long. I have one that is around 10”. I’ll put up a pics

I’ve been visiting my son’s house and youngest daughter’s house the last few months. Kinda alternating between the two. My daughter lives a block from the ocean and son lives in the desert temporarily. (29 Palms MCB) for training.

Long story short. I’d like to put up a aome pics of a few of my new pipes, also of some little pipe stands I made in my sons workshop. Also a pipe rack made of aged ash wood. The wood is beautiful. I’m thinking of leaving it with no stain. I think staining it a fake color would be silly. I might put a coat of Helmsman spar varnish on it though. I love that stuff. It brings out the natural wood color with a little bit enhancement.

that is IF! I remember how to post a pic these days

Attachments

• AD794E68-5431-4B46-A779-03D9D6768CCA.jpeg
    AD794E68-5431-4B46-A779-03D9D6768CCA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 6E28CC59-A307-4E59-B981-250441385390.jpeg
    6E28CC59-A307-4E59-B981-250441385390.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 274D7889-0440-47DC-8DF5-C17A558AA563.jpeg
    274D7889-0440-47DC-8DF5-C17A558AA563.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 644D077D-DD54-4C23-9A6D-822FA9D0E389.jpeg
    644D077D-DD54-4C23-9A6D-822FA9D0E389.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 1586B858-07B0-4258-A4D1-7F50F7FEB0FC.jpeg
    1586B858-07B0-4258-A4D1-7F50F7FEB0FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • BB739613-3D76-4713-8212-27E3A631C306.jpeg
    BB739613-3D76-4713-8212-27E3A631C306.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Oh my goodness! Was the last post really four years ago?

I guess it was... Quite a lot has changed in all of our lives and Corona hit recently.
wow!
I’m jobless since and claiming “retired Navyman” for now. I’d put retired “NavyChief”, but I’m not feeling all that chiefly these day.

Life moved on though and so do we and our children. My kids are all grown up and on their own. Have been for quite a few years now.

This was suppose to be a pipe smoking reply. It kind of is because I’m smoking a pipe, enjoying some good tobacco and being contemplative

I’m sitting at my daughter’s house smoking a churchwarden style pipe. It’s only about 7 inches long. I have one that is around 10”. I’ll put up a pics

I’ve been visiting my son’s house and youngest daughter’s house the last few months. Kinda alternating between the two. My daughter lives a block from the ocean and son lives in the desert temporarily. (29 Palms MCB) for training.

Long story short. I’d like to put up a aome pics of a few of my new pipes, also of some little pipe stands I made in my sons workshop. Also a pipe rack made of aged ash wood. The wood is beautiful. I’m thinking of leaving it with no stain. I think staining it a fake color would be silly. I might put a coat of Helmsman spar varnish on it though. I love that stuff. It brings out the natural wood color with a little bit enhancement.

that is IF! I remember how to post a pic these days

Nice handiwork Dan. If you do use polyurathane, look for the matte vs the gloss. I know the brand of spar I buy comes in several finishes. Or, if you use the gloss, knock down the shine with 000 steel wool.

Funny thing about pipe smoking from my experience on and off is a good aromatic blend always smells better to the observer than it taste to the smoker.
You would not believe the pipe tobacco variations.

Never was a pipe smoker. I like the smell from a pipe. I can handle the smell from cigars. I stopped smoking them because I hated the taste in my mouth the next day. I absolutely despise the smell of cigarette smoke. It smells like death. I'm glad I quit when they got too expensive. A tax went into effect and the price went from 35 cents a pack to 45 cents....... 1968. I felt I had better things to spend my money on.

Hello!
I’m stil smoking Ive goten my son smoking abpipe as well

My wife tells me nobody smokes thesr days a i say Sorry dearwe do

Love and Aloha to uou all

”A pipe gives a wise man something to do while he’s thinking and a fool something to stick in his mouth”.

I don’t know who that is attributed to but I thought of that quote often during the 30 or so years that I was a pipe smoker.

Curchwarden pipes are great! I have other onrs too.

Attachments

• 77B32546-18F7-4B7C-8231-2D5D9EB4BE0B.jpeg
    77B32546-18F7-4B7C-8231-2D5D9EB4BE0B.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 43
Cheers!
Smoking some Crooner which so I’ve read was Bing Crosby’s tobacco. C&D made the mix again years later using the recipe of Bing’s passed on tobacconist. It’s a fine cut burley with deer tongue mixed in. A little on the expensive side but worth it

And it taste pretty good and burns cool. Then again I’ve been mostly smoking Missouri Meerschaums lately, corn cob pipes.

I was told a time ago briars are like standard transmissions. You have to learn how to shift, use a clutch, slow down, start on a steep hill... all kinds of stuff, challenges.

corn cob pipes are like automatic transmissions. You just get in and drive.
No worries.

The author also said you should learn to smoke on a briar ( manual transmission) And then move to something easy like corncob (automatic transmission)

I think that’s true. However that's just my opinion. Every pipe smoker develops their own style of packing, favorite tobaccos, and pipe smoking method.

Cheers!
Dan

Aloha! Happy New Years to you all. I’m enjoying my favorite briar right now. Straight stem allow bowl. Cost me 25$. Best smoking pipe I’ve ever had and I have a few exspenxive ones.
Breaking it in helps. This one was pretty easy to make itself my favorite

Thanks for the memories @Dan. Smoked a pipe for years, truly enjoyed the smell and flavor of good tobacco on a cold night around a fire.

Quit back in 1991 for health reasons. (Must have worked, I'm still around.)

Happy new years to you Dan! I've been smoking a pipe since I turned 18. I got a corn cob and then quickly got a briar straight stem. I still have that briar pipe though I've put so much tobacco through it I can barely fit a finger in to tamp it. All of my briar pipes have been in the $20-$40 range, I just never could justify spending more on one of the really expensive ones.

I keep a few pipes in my work van and I like to smoke between jobsites. I find it's difficult to be stressed out while you're smoking a pipe.

What a thread! Thinking of good tobacco brings forth all of these memories.

Last time I lit a pipe was when I was stressing at Uni. It seemed like it help me keep the stress at bay for just a moment to get back at it. On starry nights it felt extra peaceful. I used to smoke a cheapy my father smoked before me. That's the one with all the memories of him.

Now that I am on sick leave, I might light it again. Especially with these clear and cold nights.

Thanks for reminding me about the good times with this thread.

Another pipesmoker homebrewer here.
Today I laid my hands on Simpsons Heavily Peated Malt for the first time. I'm not into Whisky, so I wasn't aware what the peat flavour must be like (those few Whiskies I've ever had in my life were of the non-peated kind).
I'm amazed how similar to Latakia the malt smells! Now I want to brew me a peated beer that would taste if it's Latakia-flavoured.

Everywhere Peated Malt is discussed on the board I see warnings to not use it more than 2% of the grist. Well, that may be right for a non-smoking Joe, who most probably would find Latakia Tobacco off-putting as well.
But what percentage is optimal, what you think, to a Latakia lover who likes Cornell&Diehl Da Vinci with its 75% dose of Latakia? And Balkan Flake with its 50%?
I'm sure fellow pipesmokers have already brewed Latakia-flavoured peated beers and might share some experience.

Pipe smoking is certainly something I deem to call "One of the finer things in life." Unfortunately, I quit smoking tobacco almost 4 years ago. I was a heavy cigarette smoker and occassionaly lit up a pipe to relax around a campfire while backpacking with friends.

I often still think about smoking a pipe, but I'm a little nervous if I packed one up it wouldn't be the last...
I started smoking cigarettes and a pipe when I went away to college (it was cool in the 60s) and later in the Navy for about 10 years. Then one day I got admitted to the hospital for something totally unrelated to smoking or tobacco consumption. The charge nurse in Admitting was explaining to me where the smoking area was, when I suddenly interrupted her without really thinking and said, "I won't be smoking." That was it. No withdrawals or cold turkey shakes.

And just like Forrest Gump, I stopped, even though smoking had been a regular part of daily life for more than a decade. I had 'enjoyed' tobacco consumption, especially my pipes, but I never looked back or had cravings. The social aspect of smoking was changing by 1978, even in my military squadrons. Oddly what I did experience was an strange reaction to the smell of sulphur when someone would light a match. It was like a precursor sensory trigger that brought on a pleasurable, anticipatory endorphin rush of what a cigarette would bring. Nicotine is a highly addictive drug that permanently alters the pleasure centers of the brain, I'm convinced.

Today I have no idea where my pipes may be. My wife, a strong anti-smoker, no doubt threw them out years ago. I eventually got into the social groove of cigars on the golf course with my son, son-in-law and a few other friends. That ended abruptly about two years ago with a torn rotator cuff that kept me off the golf course, and I've never made a comeback to the sport. I've still got an expensive humidor on my Man Cave bar that's stocked with some very high quality 'sticks' that may never get smoked. I still check the humidity levels regularly and rotate them in the box, but don't have much motivation to burn one in solitude.

Still, an Aurturo Fuentes and two fingers of Jack Daniels on the patio by the fire pit might be an enjoyable evening diversion from the normal post-dinner routine. That is, until SWMBO banishes me to the Man Cave until I shower and decontaminate.

Very nice Dan! I have three that I rotate through on the regular but I'm always tempted when I go to the tobacco store to get another one...

Aloha!

Dan here
Been heading towards more real basic English blends. Some smoky Latakia. Not overpowering.
Got to say. Cool smooth smoke

The wood was from some old pallet. I ran it through my son’s planer. It was a pretty quick project

in keeping with HBT theme. I drank a few of his home brews making this

That is really nice Dan! I love the grain of that wood. I've been meaning to make myself a pipe stand but I haven't got around to it yet.

I’ve been enjoying Stokkebye 17 English Luxury. I smoke it in my Savennili pipe styled after Bing Crosby’s long stemmed pipes.
The tobacco smell before smoked like autumn burning leaves. Some people say camp fire smoke.

“Made of bright Virginia, unflavored black Cavendish, white Burley and Cyprian Latakia, it allows the smoky flavor of the dark leaf to shine without overpowering the blend”

In my opinion. Very mild, cool burning and enjoyable. Not committed to smoking it everyday. But it’s pretty nice!

I'm ill at the moment. My son seems to have mostly recovered, and hopefully my wife is through the worst of it.

I hope I got past the worst of it on Tuesday, but I was hoping to be in better shape by now.

But I'm still functioning and I'm not in agony.

How about you, Dan?
Looks great! Warmer weather is on it's way here and it's making me want to fire up my pipe!

Thanks!
Amazing what a bench planer and router can do with old pallet wood. Pretty sure most pallets are made of oak

Back