Pinlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle244

Reaction score
So I have two pinlock kegs in a keezer and they work great, I ordered a third one online and when I connected it, there didn't seem to be a good seal on the air side, the connection seemed to move around and caused leaks. I thought maybe the posts were bad and I need to change it, then I looked online and I see there are Firestone and Corny kegs, based on the rubber ring on the top, I believe my original 2 kegs are Firestone (as the ring is solid) and the new one is Corney (since it is notched). If that is the case I see the replacement posts are slightly different, could that mean that maybe the connection I am using should be different as well?

The pin lock disconnects should work the same regardless of keg type. I have both firestone and cornelious brand pin locks and the disconnects are interchangeable.

The easy way to distinguish between the two is looking at the posts themselves. Firestone, with (9/16) threaded posts, tend to have writing/numbers on the posts themselves, while cornelious, which should be 9/32 thread are blank/smooth on the posts.

Did you replace all the seals?

I would first replace the seal on the top of the post and the dip tube.

If that doesn't work then I would either replace the poppet with a universal poppet or if you can just the o ring on the poppet.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't replace anything, just cleaned it up and ran with it, I will try that first and see if it helps

I have a bunch of pin locks and sometimes I find the gas side leaks upon cleaning/re-assembly.

More often than not, I think the poppets and the poppet o-ring are not sealing inside the post very well. If I crank the gas to around 30psi, and depress the poppet quickly with a few bursts, using a small screwdriver, the pressure helps "seat" the o-ring. Bang....no more leaking

I always replace the o-rings first thing when I get a "new to me" keg, if for no other reason than that they reek of Mountain Dew or whatever mess was in there. But yeah, o-rings and poppets, in that order, should fix you up!

Thanks for the replies. I didn't replace anything, just cleaned it up and ran with it, I will try that first and see if it helps

Also using some keg lube can help.

Usually if I take mine apart I'll try to put some lube on the dip tube o ring. That might even make an older seal work.

On some of mine after you wrench down on the post the seal will be cracked or shredded. For $.50 I just put a new one on.

I ended up replacing a gas dip tube because it had a dent where the o ring went and would just destroy the seal.

Thanks again, I ran to the local supply store and got some new rings and poppets, have some beer that should be ready to keg this weekend, so I will give it a try and see what happens

You should be good. I like the universal poppets because they come apart for cleaning and soaking in oxiclean.

Back