Pink infection - interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0phead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found an interesting colony of what I believe to be wild yeast in my hefeweizen this morning.

Original yeast was Wyeasy 3068. I fermented 9 days @65

I'm fairy certain the source was a dirty line which I've since replaced.

Any thoughts from the crowd? Seen pink colonies before?
20190925_092302.jpg
20190925_092320.jpg

I found an interesting colony of what I believe to be wild yeast in my hefeweizen this morning.

Original yeast was Wyeasy 3068. I fermented 9 days @65

I'm fairy certain the source was a dirty line which I've since replaced.

No off odors (banana esters present in aroma)

I didn't sample it yet for off flavors.

Any thoughts from the crowd? Seen pink colonies before?
View attachment 645632 View attachment 645633

That doesn't necessarily look like an infection to me. I have seen orange tinged yeast adhering to the walls of the fermenter before. I think it is probably just some component of the beer that has colored the yeast deposits a bit.

The stuff clinging on the side looks fairly normal, looks like a combination of hop junk and yeast.

The cylindrical thing floating in the first picture looks weird. Is that the plastic "smack pack" from the yeast pouch?

I don't see anything that looks like infection other than the clear plastic looking thing in the top just left of center and something that looks like overgrown single cell organisms in line from the lower center angling up to the right. And what looks like a straw of some sort dipping into the beer.

Agree I do not think that is an infection but light hitting the yeast in a way that makes it look pink.

OTOH: the bacteria that makes pink slime in your shower actually can be a rare beer infector but it does not make your beer turn pink.

On the other hand Serratia would cause some pretty funky aromas, so I think the chances that the OP actually got his beer infected in the early stages of fermentation are pretty slim. It's probably just a trick of the lighting.

Back