Pineapple plant???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorealBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone out there every use Pineapple Plant (aka wild chamomile, aka Matricaria discoidea) in a beer?

I like it as a tea, and I've used it to give a citrus/pineapple punch to vinaigrettes - planning to use it in a North American Pale Ale type beer this spring.

I was thinking adding some at five minutes, then flame-out, to compliment Cascades...suggestions?

Thanks!

Hmmm...anyone? Anyone? Buhler?

Seriously, anyone who has info on pineapple plant, please share.

Maybe this thread would get more reaction if I named it "weed beer"...you know, because I'd be using weeds, from my sidewalk...

Nope; you appear to be the official expert now. Try it out and let us how it goes, Mr. Pineapple Plant Expert. ; )

Adam

As soon as spring is sprung, and the pineapple weed is up, I will brew this up, and post back.

Spruce tip IPA, Pineapple Plant APA...it's going to be a weird April, brew-wise.

Any word on this? I intentionally let a patch grew in the sidewalk cracks in my back yard so I could harvest the heads. I was thinking of brewing an IPA or saison with them, but I found one brewing company online that used them (along with juniper berries) in a Belgian dark. I plan to dry mine, toss them in the freezer, and then come up with a recipe to use them.

I threw some into an APA instead of flavour and aroma hops. It was...okay. The pineapple aroma sure came through, but the taste...was camomile. So, I kinda got what I was looking for.

I think I would have been a happier camper if I would have paired the pineapple plant with something like Amarillo, or Citra...or maybe even something more garden-variety.

I still have two oz. in my freezer to play with, and will soon. This initial result makes me think my original premise of using pineapple plant to punch up other hops, and not as a complete substitute for, is the best use for the stuff.

Let me know if you've done anything with yours!

Back