Pin or Ball Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandRiverZip

Reaction score
I am nearing buying kegs, the pin lock kegs I find are less expensive than the ball. Does one model function better than the other? or is it a preferance thing? Size is not crucial, will likely have 2 in a fridge, with room for ther stuff as well.

Thanks,

Dan

Well there is the size difference. But that doesn't matter.

I have one pin lock, six ball lock. They function the same. I think it would be wise to stick to one or the other though, so you only have one type of fitting.

I like the ball lock ones because they're taller and slimmer -- they fit better in my fridge.

Edit: My pin lock doesn't have a pressure relief valve that I can operate. So to purge the gas, I push in the poppet on the Gas IN side. Not a big deal really.

I think it would be wise to stick to one or the other though, so you only have one type of fitting

KegConnection.com just revamped their site. They now have these threaded connections which would allow you to use your lines on any keg style. Pretty sweet if you ask me!

Very true. I have threaded connections on all of my gas and liquid lines, and the disconnects I have are all MFL. I can swap them out without tugging out the whole line or the barb..

Liquid-Disconnect-MFL-th.jpg

Got all my fittings from Austin Homebrew. :)

KegConnection.com just revamped their site. They now have these threaded connections which would allow you to use your lines on any keg style. Pretty sweet if you ask me!

Yes! I just bought 3 kegs, 2 pin lock and 1 ball lock. The ball lock was an accident, but I got a great deal on it on eBay, so I was trying to figure out how I could use it. This will be super helpful!

I got a pin lock and I love the size because a ball lock wouldn't fit in my mini fridge because of the height with the fittings on it. I do wish it had a pressure relief valve though but to get a new lid is almost as expensive as getting another keg so I live with it

A few minor differences but no big deal overall. I have pin-locks just because that is what I started with. Whatever you buy now you will probably want to stay with in the future.

If size isn't an issue I would think pin locks would be the way to go because you can always convert those to ball locks if you need to. Can you convert ball locks to pin locks? Plus pin locks are typically cheaper. I may be missing something though, I'm a newb to kegging.

Interesting. I like my ball locks because theyre thinner and taller. The pins don't bother me at all. I actually like the visual confirmation that the fittings are solidly attached on the pinlocks

Back