pin-lock and ball-lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portah

Reaction score
I need some help here.
What is better to utilize for my new keg system pin-lock or ball-lock?
If anyone has a link that I can go to for prices would be great.
Every ones own reasons for using one over the other would be great to know also.
Please let me know, because I would like to get in the next few weeks.
I am looking for a two keg system for my fridge.
I do not need the tank for C02, because I will get this locally from a shop.
Thanks
Portah

Is it a mini fridge or a standard fridge? A lot of the mini fridge folk will go with the ball lock because, although taller (about 25"), they aren't as wide.

I personally have both because the shorter (22") pin lock fits on the hump in my keezer with more clearance than a ball lock. However, I converted all the posts on my pin locks to ball lock posts to standardize my connections, which makes life a lot easier. I would definitely recommend getting all of the same type for that reason.

Measure your fridge to find out what would be best for you. A lot of people will cut out cardboard circles and place them down to see what will fit. I just built my keezer recently and if I remember correctly, ball lock are 25" tall and 8.5" in diameter. Pin lock are 22" tall and 9" in diameter. Add about 1.5" in height for ball lock connectors with the hoses attached. Add about 3.5" for pin lock connectors with the hoses attached.

Pin lock connectors are taller. So a pin lock with pin lock posts ends up being about 27" tall. A pin lock converted to ball lock posts ends up being about 24" tall. As far as I know, that 24" configuration is just about as short as you can manage out of a 5 gallon corny.

I put two 27" ball lock kegs down in the deep part of my keezer. I put my 24" pin lock keg on the hump. This ensures that all my liquid is as "low" in the keezer as possible since cold air sinks and, although I have fans to circulate the air inside and keep the temp uniform, I don't really run them often since I don't get foamy first pours.

I got all my stuff from kegconnection.com and they were great.

I have a bunch of each, and they both have pros and cons. Ball lock kegs are taller and skinnier, take that into consideration. You cannot mix up the connectors on a pin lock keg, the gas side has 2 pins, the beer side has 3. But you can force the wrong connector onto a ball lock keg and then it won't come back off.
I started with 4 free pin lock kegs, my son found me 10 more, then a friend gave me 8 ball locks.
As for standardization, I put flare fittings on all the hoses so I can easily change out connectors for either type keg. This also is handy when friends bring kegs over for parties, I'm set up to dispense either type.

Back