"Pimping" a Muntons Bitter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slymaster

Reaction score
I've been obsessed lately about brewing classic English Bitters. While I'm collecting all the ingredients for "the perfect recipe" I have in my head, I stumbled upon a Muntons Traditional Bitter Kit, so I decided to give it a try. I've never done kits in the past. From what I have read, they lack that fresh grains taste and the bitterness tends to mellow as the kit gets old.

I also always try to get the best taste possible (not the cheapest brew), so I "Pimped" that kit with steeping grains, rose the gravity a bit to get closer to 5% alc./vol., added a bit of hops to balance that and bring fresher hops aroma and burtonize the water. My brewshop had the West Yorkshire yeast on hand, so I also decided to give it a try.

----------------------
So here is what I used for a 6 US gallons batch:

Grains (Steeped at 165 Farenheit):
12 oz. Biscuit Malt
6 oz. Crystal Malt (80L)
8 oz. Flaked Corn Maize

Minerals:
2 tbsp. Gypsum
1 tbsp. Chalk

Extract/Sugar:
Muntons Connoisseur Range Traditional Bitter (1.8kg can)
2 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract
0.5 lbs. Corn Sugar

Hops:
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (pellets) @5 minutes boil
1 oz. oz. East Kent Goldings (leaf) dry hop
0.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (pellets) dry hop

Yeast:
Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire

Original Gravity:
----------------------

When I pitched, there was an awesome fresh grains/hoppy/biscuity aroma. The wort was sweet, flavourful and the hops were balanced.

It's only been 3 days and I'm pretty excited about this brew. I know that the West Yorkshire Yeast strain needs quite a bit of time to make it's job.

----------------------

Now, what do you think I added too much steeping grains? Too much biscuit malt? I know English malts and yeasts naturally retain a biscuity flavour, but maybe it's too much? Do you think it might also end with too much unfermentables?

Any thoughts?

I ended up dry hopping for a week with a combination of East Kent Goldings, Challenger and Fuggle leftovers from another recipe (1 oz. total). Final gravity was 1.014 and I primed it with beet sugar.

It's been 4 days and it's already pretty carbed. It's not super-clear yet and there's a lot of yeast flavours but it's already really good.

It's got that bite on the tongue that Bitters have from butonization of the water and from the Hops. It has a super malty/biscuity flavour that lasts in the mouth but for now, the yeast aromas and flavours are too strong to appreciate fully the malt.

It's going to be better in a month or so for sure.

Finally, the beer is good. Not super-good but good.

If I was to redo this, here's what I'd change:
1- I'd simply steep a pound of Maris Otter. The crystal adds darkness and there's already plenty of biscuit flavour, no need to add more. The end result looked like a bit darker than Newcastle.

2- I wouldn't add Gypsum or Chalk. I feel that there was already additions as the beer feels a bit «salty».

3- I fermented just a bit too high for that yeast (room temp was around 75 Farenheit). It ended up with too estery. I would still use that yeast though, because it gives a fine carbonation and a super-creamy mouthfeel, very cask-like carbonation. I fermented another beer with the same yeast at 55-60 Farenheit, getting it up at 70 for dry-hopping and it ended up being spectacular!

It was a good experiment. And the addition of dry hops was perfect, as those kits tend to lose bitterness over time.

Latest posts

Back