Pilsner variation- NE style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Trying to use up some old pilsner malt and some czech saaz hops I have laying around for a brew tomorrow. Figured I'll experiment a little and go for a soft mouthfeel, hazy pilsner variation with some London Ale III yeast. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Not sure exactly the grain bill I'll use, but it'll probably go something like this for a 5 gal batch

10 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked barley or oat malt
.5 oz carapils
1 oz czech saaz FWH
1 oz czech saaz flameout/whirlpool
1 oz czech saaz dry hops
1 oz czech saaz keg hops

Ferment with London Ale III

Anyone brew anything like this or have suggestions? Mainly looking to use up some ingredients and get harvest a nice supply of yeast for a couple NE style IPAs I'll be brewing over the next couple months.

Pilsner Urquell has 40 IBU's. Very noticeable. I'm not a fan of all of the proposed late hops additions though. That is most likely not to the Pilsner style. I would add hops at 60, 20, and 10 minutes of the remaining boil, and target 40 IBU's (Tinseth method). No flame out or dry hops. I would also use Magnum at the 60 minute mark since from that addition no flavor component will remain anyway, and it saves a bundle of money over Saaz.

Saaz is very spicy. I've not used it for flame out and dry hopping, but I have used Sterling (claimed to be the closest thing to Saaz) in this fashion, and for me the spice when used this way is overpowering to the point of being disgusting. It's all you can taste. You might as well add a heaping portion of cinnamon and perhaps a dash of cloves to the brew.

Loads of post boil Sterling (or presumably Saaz) would make for a great Christmas of Pumpkin ale though. No need to mess with pumpkin or spices.

Agreed it's not the pilsner style. If I was to do a traditional pilsner I'd use lager yeast and less late hops, though I have had success with flameout additions and dry hopping pilsners. I was looking to mix things up, accentuate the Euro hops and multiply some yeast using techniques and from the east coast iPas I brew.

I have a nice recipe I use for a pseudo pilsner using kolsch yeast, saaz, pils and wheat malt. Myself and most people have a hard time telling the difference from a lager or pilsner recipe brewed with lager yeast vs a well fermented kolsch yeast.

Never did brew today. Had to make a several trips to the hardware store just to hang ceiling fan. 5 hours later and I'm ready to drink... not brew!

Latest posts

Back